best exhaust wrap for protecting legs from burns

jatgm1

Local time
10:56 PM
Unfortunately the exhaust I got for my predator engine sticks out and is right where my leg will be. Unless someone knows of a compact exhaust, what exhaust wrap will keep it cool to the touch.

Here it is

Attachments

• tmp_17932-IMG_20170131_090435678996902.jpg
    tmp_17932-IMG_20170131_090435678996902.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 1,414
No best in my opinion, I've seen several types in use and they all do the basic same thing. Not to say I haven't seen bad quality, I would say the cheap stuff online sheds more fiberglass than the higher quality kinds. I picked up a "titanium" roll from autozone, it had a nice bright silver color to it and cost me 25bucks, but I was able to take it off my muffler after a couple months and reuse it with minimal fiber loss. The cheap stuff doesn't seem to handle being used more than once very well and no matter how much I soaked it and tried rinsing it just sheds so much glass and my hands get horribly itchy. The autozone stuff I was able to use bare handed without getting itchy except for the tiniest bit.

The difference in heat is probably negligeble since we are talking about 1 inch pipes and not 4 or 6 three inch headers under a hood. I know that my fancy 25 dollar a roll prevents burns just as well as the cheap 7 dollar roll did.

A friend has some on his muffler and used standard black nylon zip ties, which I was certain would melt. But I was wrong and it provides enough protection to prevent them from melting, and that was the cheap stuff.

Huh. So hypothetically if I were to wrap this muffler (see pic below) and while pedaling my thigh kept rubbing it, I wouldn't get burns? (Moderate to thin jeans normally worn)

Attachments

• tmp_15199-IMG_20170131_120612325013542.jpg
    tmp_15199-IMG_20170131_120612325013542.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 935
Unfortunately the exhaust I got for my predator engine sticks out and is right where my leg will be.
Unless someone knows of a compact exhaust, what exhaust wrap will keep it cool to the touch.
I suggest you just modify your header pipe.
Cut off the header, move the pipe to where you want it (down), and weld it back up.

tmp_17932-img_20170131_090435678996902-jpg.75427

I just modify a NON-EPA 2-stroke pipe.

2_79ccPredL.jpg

Basically you just cut off the header flange and re-weld it turned to where you want.

If you want the pipe to come up just compound cut the header pipe.

2_79cc2-DoneL-1280.jpg

I used muffler tape on that one but not for burn protection, we ride in shorts and didn't have any heat issues with either, the tape was to cover the horrible welding job hehe ;-)

Last edited:
I would, but it seems easier to wrap it. Could it be bent without damaging it? Like with a pipe bender?

I would, but it seems easier to wrap it. Could it be bent without damaging it? Like with a pipe bender?
Perhaps it could be bent if done properly, the last one I bent I used a oxy torch to bring it to cherry red and it was still difficult.

If you have a proper pipe bender then it should be as easy as any pipe in it, just he careful of the thin wall, you can kink them somewhat easily.

Back