Best Grease for Whizzer New Departure Coaster brake?

Nolan

Local time
8:51 AM
So the grease I have is liquifying and dripping out when I use the brake for a long time, does anyone know what kind of grease would work best? or a Drip point would be helpful.
-Nolan
PS New piston from MLC came today! Cylinder getting bored tomorrow!

You need to use a good heat resistant grease, otherwise you can expect a grease that isn't up to the task to liquify. Shimano's Nexus Brake Grease is one of the most highly recommended. It's not cheap, as it sells for around $14.95 for a 100gram tube.

Thanks, I went with a grease recommended for standard coaster brakes, it looks like it should work, its much thicker and hasn't started to drip.

You need to use a good heat resistant grease, otherwise you can expect a grease that isn't up to the task to liquify. Shimano's Nexus Brake Grease is one of the most highly recommended. It's not cheap, as it sells for around $14.95 for a 100gram tube.

The Shimano Nexus Brake grease is best used on your retrofitted Shimano hub!

The Shimano Nexus Brake grease is best used on your retrofitted Shimano hub!

Indeed it would be, but it would also be a very good choice for the New Departure brakes as they are capable of generating a good amount of heat when used on a motorized bike. I speak from experience there, as I had the standard brake grease liquify and leak out one summer on my '46 Columbia with a 48cc GruBee engine. That bike is fitted with a New Departure brake. After a ride that didn't have to be very long, you could burn your finger if you touched the hub. The brake inside the hub is a series of keyed discs (or washers if you prefer), and they can heat up quite a bit while riding.

Hi KilRoyCD,

Next time you take the new departure wheel apart [if ever], please let me know the sequence of the discs & plates. I rebuilt a new departure hub not long ago, and used a NOS kit with less spacers and thicker discs, but lost the original arrangement due to a few phone calls in the middle of the rebuild. To my surprise couldn't find any information or didn't have another New Departure hub in stock to compare it to, seems all on the shelves were Bendix hubs.

Have fun,

Hi KilRoyCD,

Next time you take the new departure wheel apart [if ever], please let me know the sequence of the discs & plates. I rebuilt a new departure hub not long ago, and used a NOS kit with less spacers and thicker discs, but lost the original arrangement due to a few phone calls in the middle of the rebuild. To my surprise couldn't find any information or didn't have another New Departure hub in stock to compare it to, seems all on the shelves were Bendix hubs.

Have fun,

Quenton, I don't have a schematic, but here is a page from Shelon Brown's site which describes the sequence. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/coaster-brakes/new-departure.html . I hope this helps.
I plan to tear down the ND Model D on my '36 Elgin, but with the other projects I've got going I'm not sure when I'll be able to get around to it.

Hi KilRoyCD,
The page doesn't tell how many and which starts first the #27 or #28. At least it shows eleven discs which is the problem. The NOS repair kit had thicker shoes and I don't think there were eleven, but instead there were ten. If I had paid attention when I removed the original discs I would have known how to install the kit, but I didn't.

There is no rush because it is on my 99 and who needs to stop quickly anyway.

See ya at Lewes, DE

Have fun,

Quenton, I found the answer to your question in the July / August issue of Classic Bicycle News. I'm going to scan the pages to .pdf files and e-mail them to you.

Yeah, I took it apart and it looks like it was about to catch fire.. all the disks were totally charred. I put in some high temp grease that is good up to 150 degrees f and it it worked really good for a while then liquified, dripped out and now has very little breaking power again. I think it is mostly due because Ive been riding around downtown a lot, lots of stops and leaving the brake on.
I think I'll have to step up to the 350 degree stuff

Back