Best prices for TV's

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by redpiper777, Jan 9, 2009.

1. redpiper777

redpiper777 Member

I'm looking for a little help...I'm looking to buy a flat panel TV and as far as I'm concerned "Best Buy" is by far the worst buy...Anyone know who's got the best prices...I'm in Michigan and the only survivng large electronics retailers around my area are best buy and circut city and I hear circut city is on its way out...Im not sure if I'm going lcd or plasma and want to keep as close to under a $1000 as I can...Im looking to carry a few internet ads with me into the stores to see what they'll do...I noticed at the one place I looked "Newegg" was offering free shipping and free upgraded warrenties but very little selection...Anyway, long story short, who online has LOW,LOW prices?

Thanks for helping me save enough for a blu ray player !

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009

2. alex

alex Guest

I don't know anyone online with tv prices except for crutchfeild http://www.crutchfield.com/c_16/TVs-Blu-ray-Gaming.html
    and I have had very good experience with them when I bought a car stereo.
    You must have a wal-mart near you somewhere, they have pretty good prices.
    Although, if you want to go really cheap you could look for tv's at a goodwill store, but I doubt they'll have any flatscreens (I have been surprised though) you also have to take into consideration though that people probably died while watching those tv's from goodwill.

3. MotorMac

MotorMac Member

TV?

Did you try Costco? wait till they have a sale on one or 2 of the TVs they have.They have some of the better quality flatscreen TVs like Panasonic and Sony. I would not buy a TV online or Ebay without looking at it, and the shipping cost would offset any saving you may have gained.

4. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

have fun as you watch that THING

the little Lady and I saw some nice tv's there the other day

have fun as you watch that THING

5. alex

alex Guest

crutchfeild has free shipping, and name brands

6. jimraysr

jimraysr Member

COSTCO & sAM'S CLUB

Won't go to any thrift stores for a TV anytime soon as I doubt you will see any HD sets or one that has a digital tuner (ATSC) there.

I feel that the right of return is an important consideration. Both COSTCO and Sam's allow no question returns. Many stores charge 10 - 15% restocking if you get it home and don't like what you see. Remember the sets in most stores are pushed to the max and have a 1080p signal fed to them from a Blueray signal source. The best you will ever get over the air or from most cable or satellite sources is either 720p or 1080i.

I have been watching for a 52" LCD for some time. I haven't found anything on line that beat them.

There is a lot of current stock flushing out of the system as buyers insist on a 120 Hz refresh rate over the standard 60 Hz. 120 Hz will make for a better viewing experience for fast moving sports or high action movies. Twice as many pictures per minute stays up with the action better. Everthing moves fast than me. ) Then there is the contrast ratio. Native of 1000 to 2000:1 and dynamic of 10k to 50k. Dynamic has the electronics control the picture brightness.

That seems to be the two biggest buzz concerns.

Plasma will give you the best contrast ratio, use the most power and reflect any light in the room. (LCD are matte finish.) Plasma will also burn in. that is if you watch a station with an icon in the corner or news stations where they have a crawl at the bottom, you will see those as a shadow when you watch other programs. Takes a while, but I managed do it with a 47" CRT projection set over a 3 year period. Same happens to Plasma users.

Back lighting is the newest thing wt. LCD. LEDs are coming along and controlling their brightness with picture information increaser the contrast ratio. PLUS LEDs us a lot less power than the CCFTs (fluorescent) tubes currently behind most LCD screens.

Waiting for the perfect TV set will take 100 years and I doubt I have the time, so it is weighing price, picture size, type of display, current technology, etc. and jump in and live with it.

Best of luck,

Jim

7. MotorMac

MotorMac Member

Plasma burn in

Jim, don,t the newer plasma TVs have the burn in issue solved? this is not an issue anymore from what I,ve read somewhere recently (consumer reports mag?) anyways I love my plasma TV as I can watch it from any angle and still see the picture clearly.

8. jimraysr

jimraysr Member

Plasma

I am not an expert, but think I had read thet it is less of a problem, but don't know how, considering the nature of the technology, it can be eliminated? This is what Wikipedia has to say:

Screen burn-in

See also: Phosphor burn-in

With phosphor-based electronic displays (including cathode-ray and plasma displays), the prolonged display of a menu bar or other graphical elements over time can create a permanent ghost-like image of these objects. This is due to the fact that the phosphor compounds which emit the light lose their luminosity with use. As a result, when certain areas of the display are used more frequently than others, over time the lower luminosity areas become visible to the naked eye and the result is called burn-in. While a ghost image is the most noticeable effect, a more common result is that the image quality will continuously and gradually decline as luminosity variations develop over time, resulting in a "muddy" looking picture image.
    Plasma displays also exhibit another image retention issue which is sometimes confused with burn-in damage. In this mode, when a group of pixels are run at high brightness (when displaying white, for example) for an extended period of time, a charge build-up in the pixel structure occurs and a ghost image can be seen. However, unlike burn-in, this charge build-up is transient and self corrects after the display has been powered off for a long enough period of time, or after running random broadcast TV type content.
    Plasma manufacturers have over time managed to devise ways of reducing the past problems of image retention with solutions involving gray pillarboxes, pixel orbiters and image washing routines.

The numbers seem to tell the story as well?

In the first quarter of 2008 a comparison of worldwide TV sales breaks down to 22.1 million for CRT, 21.1 million for LCD, 2.8 million for Plasma, and 124 thousand for rear-projection.

My grandson is very happy with his 60" plasma for two years. Their couch is only 5' away. The last time I was over there I got a sunburn. )

Most LCD displays are rated at around 178 degrees. Na, don't think so. I have to be at least 10 degrees out from my set and more like 20-30 degrees to really watch it. Not a matter brightness, but apparent screen size.

You made your choice and you like it and are living with it. That is what it is all about to me.

I had a 21" Nokia monitor from an old PC. Would have normally tossed it, but had a new (but old) wall mount for a CRT TV and a Viewsonic PC / TV tuner we used in the motor home. Hung the 80# monster, fed it with the analog tuner, digital to analog converter box and Wala a 21" set in the office I can see over the inventory boxes, or swing it so I can see it from the office library. Mostly listen to tv when working and the picture is good enough to watch if something of interest comes on. Do have a DirecTV tuner for it as well for when my best friend wants to watch one of her programs and NCIS or Bones is on. ) I also have a couple of wireless links to the bedroom and workshop to pick up satellite programing there.

Jim

9. sparky

sparky Active Member

I think it was TigerDirect that had a sale on the 46" Sony TVs with 120Hz refresh rate... only $1,000. My brother paid $1,500 just a couple weeks before that. If you want a good deal, you're gonna have to wait until Black Friday to New Years. That's when you always go hunting for electronics.

And OLEDs are even better than LEDs. Can't wait.

I've had a 1080p monitor for approx 4 years that I bought for ~$800. Only problem is that it's 24" and there hasn't been too much 1080p content I've watched on this baby besides Planet Earth... but since it's right in front of my face, it looks like a 40+ incher.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  10. loquin

loquin Active Member

Sam's club has good prices all the time, and they have a great return policy. If ANY of their Electronics (except Computers) are still in warranty, they'll take it back. Period. I bought one in June at Best Buy, and less than 6 months after I took it home, it developed a blue 'bar' at the right end of the screen. Best Buy's return policy is just 30 days. So, I had to go to the manufacturer, jump through hoops on the phone with them, before they finally issued a return number that I take to ... Best Buy ... for resolution.

11. jimraysr

jimraysr Member

Sam's Club

Two years ago I returned a laptop to Sam's just before 6 months and ordered an upgraded model. No questions ask.

Jim