Best/Strongest Rims for rear chain drive.

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ...ladies, Feb 11, 2009.

1. ...ladies

...ladies New Member

I want to know what the best rims are to get for my bike, perferably less than 100 a peice but i'd like to know. I want them to be about to hold up for anything. Current rim has 2 broken spokes :/ . This is for a MB by the way

2. DetonatorTuning

DetonatorTuning Active Member

imho, best bang for the buck

velocity / eagle rear rim, hub and axle with .105 spokes from Golden Eagle Bike Engines.

welcome to the forum,
    steve

3. ZnsaneRyder

ZnsaneRyder Member

Staton sells a skyway 24" plastic mag wheel. It's setup for chain drive and has a left-threaded hub. Staton sells a 24 Tooth sprocket that fits that wheel. I'm not driving that wheel just yet, because I have a trailer, but plan on rack-mounting an engine in the near future and driving the wheel with a chain.

I have a 26 inch bike, but got this plastic 24 inch wheel because it's much stronger, and I'm changing my rear brakes. I live on a rough country dirt road, and spoked wheels break or warp after just a month or two. This wheel has handled anything I've given it. 100% pleased.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  4. jg767

jg767 Member

You can get 9 or 10 gauge spokes from Buchanan's Spokes, if you want to lace them yourself,it will cost close to 100 bucks, but I think they're worth it. You have to drill out your rim and hub. Or, you can have the Wheelmaster do it for you , 190 bucks, you ship him the rim and hub. Personally, I like to lace my own wheels. It's not a big deal.

5. loquin

loquin Active Member

I believe you're way off on the wheelmaster's prices, btw...

6. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

...ladies, I got my WHEELMAN rim and 12gauge spokes from my local bike shop. He made a set of wheels for me and I'm satisfied.

I have NEVER broken or loosened a spoke in two years. Right now I'm using both friction and chain drives on a twin-engined monster.

7. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

Wheel Masters, in a bike shop's J&B catalog, are 12 gauge steel. They will run you from between $30-35.

While they will rust, even that can be defeated with a paint remover, then a clear coat or paint treatment.

They also have an 12 g. alloy wheel, for about $55, iirc. I've never use one however.

I'd give you the item numbers if I had the magnifying glass handy, but it depends on what sized tire you were using, most of mine are 2.25's.

8. bamabikeguy

That is confusing, there are two wheels with the same name, Wheel Masters is the company supplying J&B importers, while WheelMaster is the individual doing the labor intensive re-do of spokes.

9. jg767

jg767 Member

search "super heavy duty wheels", (190 dollars plus shipping).

10. gerbil

gerbil New Member

11. loquin

loquin Active Member

Huh. I stand corrected!

12. jg767

jg767 Member

I ordered a disc mount adapter and 48 tooth sprocket from King's Sales. He sent the adapter, I'm just waiting for the sprocket. It's a good way to mount your sprocket directly to the hub and still have rear disc brakes. The 36 spoke wheel is a good choice. Good luck with it.

13. ...ladies

...ladies New Member

Sorry i haven't posted in a few days, power went out. I found a decent deal on some 36 spoke 14 guage rims. Think that'l be strong enough? Whats the standard spoke size on a MB? and i really don't want to go through the hassle of lacing them myself, and drilling the rim for 10 gauge spokes is going to make the integrity-sp- of the rim weak.

14. ...ladies

...ladies New Member

15. cspaur13

cspaur13 Member

i hope u find a good set. i have the standard rim and over 2 months ive bent it in half. bike is useless now. i'll have to post pics to see if i can bend it back to where it will ride decent.
    good luck

16. bamabikeguy

Those are the kind I use.

Zip tie the spokes, I've got thousands of miles, none bent, none loose, and we inspected the bearings a few months ago. Perfect condition.

Put about 4 layers of tape (I use electric tape) over the spoke ends, put in a puncture-proof tube ($8) and you'll never have to worry about adding air.

Attached Files:

17. gerbil

gerbil New Member

They don't look like they'll work , without any description its hard to tell. to me they look like single speed cruiser type wheels (coaster brake) the rear spacing is narrower and you'll have chain line issues usually trying to adapt it to a mountain bike (135mm rear spacing). also unless your mountain bike is using really old tech you have a cassette rear hub, not many mountain bikes in the last 15-20 years without cassette and 135mm spaced dropouts

18. cspaur13

cspaur13 Member

P1030192.jpg
    the tire is supposed to be in the middle.
    sorry the other pics didnt load right.
    but is it easy to bend a rim without busting spokes or causeing more damage

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  19. cspaur13

cspaur13 Member

[/ATTACH]
    theres more pics off it. should i just get a new rim with thicker spokes

Attached Files:

20. ...ladies

...ladies New Member

cspaur, i'm getting a new rim with thicker spokes. I thought of just trueing it but your going to keep having the same problem. And i don't think the rims i posted have coaster breaks. There was ones that specificly said "coaster break" beside the name, then these ones. I don't really care how many gears i have but i do not want it to stop when i pedal backwords.