Best/Strongest Rims for rear chain drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just bought
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MOUTAIN-BIK...ryZ58089QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

hard to beat a quality alex rim with disc hubs and brand new tires for $110 shipped. the tires alone would cost you at least $50 though they don't look great for a mb they will be great on my mtb. now i just need a disc mount sprocket (my kit arrived today)

I ordered a disc mount adapter and 48 tooth sprocket from King's Sales. He sent the adapter, I'm just waiting for the sprocket. It's a good way to mount your sprocket directly to the hub and still have rear disc brakes. The 36 spoke wheel is a good choice. Good luck with it.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Sorry i haven't posted in a few days, power went out. I found a decent deal on some 36 spoke 14 guage rims. Think that'l be strong enough? Whats the standard spoke size on a MB? and i really don't want to go through the hassle of lacing them myself, and drilling the rim for 10 gauge spokes is going to make the integrity-sp- of the rim weak.

i hope u find a good set. i have the standard rim and over 2 months ive bent it in half. bike is useless now. i'll have to post pics to see if i can bend it back to where it will ride decent.
good luck

I found these and really wanted to go with atleast a 12G, will these work with my 21 speed mountain bike?

http://www.amazon.com/Wheel-Master-...e=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1234567506&sr=1-6

Those are the kind I use.

Zip tie the spokes, I've got thousands of miles, none bent, none loose, and we inspected the bearings a few months ago. Perfect condition.

Put about 4 layers of tape (I use electric tape) over the spoke ends, put in a puncture-proof tube ($8) and you'll never have to worry about adding air.

Attachments

• trike 006.jpg
    trike 006.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 209
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
will these work with my 21 speed mountain bike?
They don't look like they'll work , without any description its hard to tell. to me they look like single speed cruiser type wheels (coaster brake) the rear spacing is narrower and you'll have chain line issues usually trying to adapt it to a mountain bike (135mm rear spacing). also unless your mountain bike is using really old tech you have a cassette rear hub, not many mountain bikes in the last 15-20 years without cassette and 135mm spaced dropouts

P1030192.jpg
the tire is supposed to be in the middle.
sorry the other pics didnt load right.
but is it easy to bend a rim without busting spokes or causeing more damage

Last edited:
[/ATTACH]
theres more pics off it. should i just get a new rim with thicker spokes

Attachments

• P1030195.jpg
    P1030195.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 207
  • P1030197.jpg
    P1030197.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 170
cspaur, i'm getting a new rim with thicker spokes. I thought of just trueing it but your going to keep having the same problem. And i don't think the rims i posted have coaster breaks. There was ones that specificly said "coaster break" beside the name, then these ones. I don't really care how many gears i have but i do not want it to stop when i pedal backwords.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back