best way to remove factory frame decals?

Discussion in 'Painting, Welding, Bending and Gas Tanks' started by crhbomb, Apr 29, 2010.

1. crhbomb

crhbomb New Member

hi all -

what's the best way to remove factory frame decals?
    [especially old and sun-baked ones]

2. jadi929

jadi929 New Member

maybe a hair dryer or heat gun? not sure if anyones tried it or not

3. crhbomb

crhbomb New Member

thanks for the reply. i've got a dremel - and going to try using a brass wire brush attachment. i'll let you know what happens.

4. Lazieboy

Lazieboy Member

I've herd hair spray works, ya hu. or try Wd-40. I bet a janitor would know. ha ha

5. chefdouglas

chefdouglas Member

I put WD40 on let it soak for 10 minutes and the sticker came right off with a hard plastic spatula/scrapper. Soap and water to take off the WD.

6. crhbomb

crhbomb New Member

thanks guys! i will try wd-40.

7. crhbomb

crhbomb New Member

wd-40 did not work. since i'm eventually going to repaint the frame, i'm going to try dabbing some paint stripper on the decals. i'll let you guys know - how i shakes out.

btw: i dismantled the rear wheel and removed the tire yesterday to paint (and clear coat) the wheel - so it matches the front one. it's all back together now - after LOTS of fine tuning of the wheel, chain, and chain tension idler (even though i marked everything before removing stuff). check out the pic.

Attached Files:

8. HseLoMein

HseLoMein Member

I use a razor blade and shave off the decals, if i cannot use the black to lift them off the frame.

9. Neon

Neon Member

I usually use a hair drier and a plastic scraper. Found a heat gun was usually too brutal on the paint. Likes to make it bubble. Then WD-40 to get rid of the sticky stuff. and soap and water to get rid of the WD-40.

10. crhbomb

crhbomb New Member

thanks for the reply. that's weird you mentioned a heat gun. i bought one today at lunch. it has 2 settings. i'll try the low setting and a really thin credit card-shaped plastic card. i'll let you guys know how it works.

11. flyingdutchman

flyingdutchman New Member

Heat is the only way. I'm a sign guy by trade. The only cheat that works is a rubber wheel and a drill. It's like an eraser about 4" diameter. I prefer the heat and peel method. Get a corner up and heat it and let it cool a bit so the sticker doesn't just tear. There is a sweet spot between too hot and not hot enough. Good luck. It's a Sh**** job any way you slice it.

12. Lazieboy

Lazieboy Member

Thanks Neon

I'll try that next build. My brother lives in Northern Minnesota close to the Canadian border.

13. Neon

Neon Member

You're welcome Lazieboy. Wish i could have visited Minnesota back in '90. Had a chance to take a Thermo King course there. But the company decided to send a less experienced person instead of me. Oh well life goes on. After the decals are off , putting on new ones is another art form in itself. I'd much rather remove them than put new ones on any day. BTW i was using a cheap heat gun that had two settings on and off.

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  14. beentryin

beentryin Member

goo gone works great always used it to remove stickers

15. crhbomb

crhbomb New Member

NOTE TO SELF: really thin credit card-shaped plastic cards melt (on the area your scrapping) when held near a heat gun.

16. spbwsean

spbwsean Member

goo-gone works a charm

17. crhbomb

crhbomb New Member

thanks! i'm on it.

18. crhbomb

crhbomb New Member

i purchased the goo-gone gel. it's not cuttin' the mustard like i hoped. i let it sit for several hours too. the decal i started with is coming off only in micro-size chips - and that's in addition to zapping the area with heatgun. i am using the backside of a scrubber sponge (scuff pad) to chip way at it.

19. beentryin

beentryin Member

use paper towels to wrap the sticker and keep sosking the towel for a hour or so

20. Neon

Neon Member

What the heck are these decals made from? Sounds like you almost need to sand blast them off. Did they stick them on with Epoxy?