Best way to tighten flywheel bolt

What ever you do, don't use an impact gun! If I remember correctly I just held the flywheel with my hand.

Jim

Holding flywheel while tightening bolt

Use a 26" junk v-belt to hold it. In your minds eye imagine the following orientation. Place the belt over the motor pulley as it would normally be installed with it running back toward the clutch. Now pinch the belt together just to the rear of the flywheel pulley and wrap the tail of the belt below the pulley so that it is doubled over on itself. Stick a hammer handle or similar bar through the loop you've created in the belt, and as you rotate the flywheel counterclockwise it will tighten and capture the flywheel. As you tighten the bolt the handle you've inserted will be pulled up against the edge of the flywheel or engine case and come to a rest there. Reverse the orientation of the belt to loosen the flywheel bolt. I've never come across a flywheel I couldn't hold onto using the technique - poor mans strap wrench!

100_3988.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Traveler,

Don't forget there is a difference between the new edition and the vintage motor concerning the flywheel bolt. Vintage motors use left handed threads, whereas the new motors are right handed threads.

Have fun,

Back