Best way to Winterize the bike?

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by Qui Gon-Jinn, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Qui Gon-Jinn

Qui Gon-Jinn New Member

Got some things fixed and picked up a 81 Toyota Pickup for my commute.. So the bike is going to be limited use for now. I want to winterize it for storage. I am thinking just drain the tank, and the carb. Put a bag around the motor and pack it up. I have not ridden in about 2 weeks due to getting the truck, and being out of town for family related issues.

2. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

I have had to store my motorbike twice; about six months each time during moves. The only thing I did beyond draining the tank and float bowl was remove the plug to squirt a little oil into the cylinder and reinstall the plug. My motorbike has refired easily after both storage periods.
    I lived in the Phoenix area for over a decade. Winter riding was great (compared to summer) but you need good lights for commuting during the short days.

3. Qui Gon-Jinn

Qui Gon-Jinn New Member

Lights I had.. 2 up front.. 1 rear.. and still multiple times I almost got hit.. Phoenix Drivers Suck.

The weather is getting really nice.. I rode when it was 115 this summer.. And my heart wasn't happy (Congestive Heart Failure w/ a Bi-Ventricular Pacemaker). Cold is not good on me either. I really have no stamina due to heart disease.

I am more or less a native Phoenician.. Born here.. and all but 2.5 years of my 36.5 I have lived in the city. The 2.5 was in Lubbock Texas.

Going to drain it this week, oil in the cylinder.. and.. park it for a bit.

4. lazylightning@mail.r

lazylightning@mail.r Active Member

Geeze! You guys are nutz! Winter is the best time for riding!!!

y_f0cd3408.jpg y_b3bcdce4 (1).jpg SDC17282.jpg

That's how to winterize the bike and don't forget warm gloves and a bicycle helmet just in case. Though I've never fallen after I got the spikes on! Full speed on shear ice and a tight turn....no problem. It holds onto the ice like super glue!

5. 570rm47

570rm47 Member

My little bike sounds so much nicer in winter, and runs better as well.
    I have a section of tube from an old 10 speed bike folded twice to make four layers cable-tied over spark-plug and cap, clear pvc tubing over some of the wiring. Nothing has ever caught fire, smoked, smelt to hot.

6. lazylightning@mail.r

More oxygen in the cold air give it more power.

7. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

the BEST time to ride is at about 4-5 pm down the side of the motorway. bzzzz along at 60 while all these idiots fork out $5 just to sit there or crawl at 10km...when the signs say 100!

total cost? a few cents of fuel :jester:

storage, i think it was covered. drain the carb is the big one. more important on 2strokes cus of the oil.

chrome plated cylinder, dont worry too much about the oil down the plug hole. good habit to get into, but really only necessary on cast iron bores. turn it over a few times.

idea to flush cylinder with fresh petrol and give it a few spins when you get it going again. just to remove any sticky oil gummed up in the rings.

8. lazylightning@mail.r

I'll be riding all winter folks! The snow is the best and riding at night in the forest with the lights out after or during a first good snow is great! You can see everything around lit up by the snow light reflection. New Years Eve is a blatst too, everyone walking around on the street letting off fireworks, drinking and dancing....

Pictures from last New Year's Eve 2012-2013

qI3RGxuv68k.jpg YujEVPp8phc.jpg ESVlvxr0kTs1.jpg

9. rogergendron

rogergendron New Member

just start it up and run it for 5 min every week or so. i never winterize anything i find it easyer to just start it up every once and a wile and let it run for a few.

if you feel you need to winterize just drain all the gas from the tank and carb and you wont have any thing to worry about. i would highly sugest storing the bike indoors or in a garage out of the weather or at least undeer a tarp.

i have a 1982 hond big red 200E that i restored in 1999 and rode for a long time(about up till 2005) and i left it under a open shed with only a plywood roof at my hunting cabin in st johnsbury VT. i had 2 boys and have not been hunting since so the trike sat for years with the same gas not winterized or anything. i went to my camp and rolled it out from under 4 feet of snow drift, after pumping up the deflated tires, draining the carb and gas take and putting new gas in it then charging the battery i pulled the pull start slowly 3 or 4 times to prime the carb and she fired up on the 4th pull lol !!! ran great all weekend and i used it to hual fire wood for 4 days !