Better bikes

Jimmyjimjam

Local time
5:00 PM
So if I'm going to have to jump through hoops here in the UK to satisfy the dvla then I'll be going all out to get a better machine. However still not clear on UK law.

Ohh. You mean you actually want to build a road legal moped, taxed, tested and insured? :eek:
There's an e book for a tenner or something. I think it might be available on eBay. It details the parts that you have to build the bike from. I don't know if you can ever pass emissions tests with the generic Chinese 2-stroke. :(
Pretty sure there's no more limited, difficult, and expensive motorised transport though lol. For instance there's only one set of tyres I think, and lots of far-too-heavy motorcycle parts needed.
If I could get a driver's licence and insurance I would just buy a car or a light motorcycle, or just buy a passport and leave! :rolleyes:

Edit: sorry I went off on a rant there! I don't think that the legal motorcycle parts are better motored bicycle parts at all, personally. I really like the off-road bike I'm slowly building up.

Last edited:
I really don't know. I expect that lawnmower emissions aren't tested but any road vehicles are. If you buy the e booklet that will tell you the spec you have to build to. But for me that just wouldn't be fun.

Easier if you can find an old puch or other type of old moped that could be registered then modify or restore that.

Ohh. You mean you actually want to build a road legal moped, taxed, tested and insured? :eek:
There's an e book for a tenner or something. I think it might be available on eBay. It details the parts that you have to build the bike from. I don't know if you can ever pass emissions tests with the generic Chinese 2-stroke. :(
Pretty sure there's no more limited, difficult, and expensive motorised transport though lol. For instance there's only one set of tyres I think, and lots of far-too-heavy motorcycle parts needed.
If I could get a driver's licence and insurance I would just buy a car or a light motorcycle, or just buy a passport and leave! :rolleyes:

Edit: sorry I went off on a rant there! I don't think that the legal motorcycle parts are better motored bicycle parts at all, personally. I really like the off-road bike I'm slowly building up.
And yes, a passport can be such a wonderful thing, run, run from the crazy people. I hear Amsterdam is nice all year round. Don't know about bikes though there they might be worse, better go to Russia...

And yes, a passport can be such a wonderful thing, run, run from the crazy people. I hear Amsterdam is nice all year round. Don't know about bikes though there they might be worse, better go to Russia...
Not the 'Dam, even if laws were okay, I need a hill to climb! Czech Republic might be the one. Or somewhere tropical.
Anyway these are still really cool in UK as off-road bikes and an educational hobby. :)

Back