Better search facility would save on repeated postings

Discussion in 'Forum Help & Suggestions' started by chrisnbush, May 7, 2008.

1. chrisnbush

chrisnbush Member

I searched DRILL SOCKET (the only way you can do multiple words is with a space) and came up with LOTS of stuff, and don't have time to search thru ALL of it to find what I need to do, i.e. drill out the socket center hole to a larger diameter.

Whatever software you are using, it would nice if it supported AND, OR and quoted phrases e.g. "DRILL SOCKET" to find occurrences of just the phrase "DRILL SOCKET", this last thing being a MINIMUM requirement.

Some sites I have seen have the WITHIN keyword e.g. DRILL WITHIN 4 SOCKET, or something like that.

I think you get a lot of multiple posts as your information consists of a lot of keywords that can be associated in many different ways, more so maybe than other forums. Searching for a single or multiple keywords without regard to orientation is useless.

Just an observation, in case there is a software upgrade that truly gives you an "advanced" search.

Chris Bush

2. Tom

Tom Active Member

Thanks. There is a way to mess with the search results, but I have no idea what I would be doing. I suppose I could screw around with it if needed.
  3. loquin

loquin Active Member

Advanced Searches

The vBulletin search is fast and easy. However, it sometimes doesn't have the flexibility that you need, and it can return way too many results. :???:

Don't lose hope - there are a couple of workarounds:
    • You can use the advanced search options, which can help. Advanced Search allows you to filter by user name, and/or limit the forums which will be searched.
    • Or, you can put Google to work for you...

Enter the following at Google: +"chopper" +schwinn -"happy time" -HT

will search all of the site, for "chopper", AND the thread must include schwinn, AND the thread must NOT include "happy time" and the thread must not include HT.

Note: + and - are AND and NOT operators, respectively. If you don't include a + or -, then an OR is assumed. Quote marks are used around exact phrases.​
    Last edited: May 7, 2008
  4. chrisnbush

chrisnbush Member

Thats great, thanks. Wondering if everyone knows that the entire forum text is available to google search engine ? The advanced search in the forum is crappy not having the ability to do the AND OR and exact phrase stuff, at least in my opinion.

Wonder if you could make google your default search engine...

Just my random musings

5. rebelspirit

rebelspirit New Member

Yeah, I spent hours reading through useles threads that went nowhere in my search for "Lights", only to be chided when I finally gave up and started a new thread to focus the conversation.

This site has lots of great information and has been imensely helpful-It is totally awesome. But it is more like driving a tractor than riding a motorbike-kinda clunky and large and slow. An advanced search function would really make a huge difference for this site.

Thanks guys!
  6. chrisnbush

chrisnbush Member

Yes, thanks guys for your attention. The google idea is great, if all the forum text is available to be googled.

What I am looking for now is a string of text that is on EVERY post e.g. something like "MBC" so that when I google something like "squeaky clutch" I get only the forum information e.g. "squeaky clutch" AND "MBC" or something like that.

I hate missing ****

Thanks again

7. loquin

loquin Active Member

If you use google's site keyword, it will ONLY look for posts at the site you specify. For example:

site:[noparse][/noparse] +"squeaky clutch"

would return only those threads with the term "squeaky clutch" from this site...
  8. chrisnbush

chrisnbush Member

Thanks Lou -

I am noticing that when I search thru google, I get results only if my search words are in the title of the post, not when they are in the text of it. I am not finding an option for "search text of documents" at least when googling with as the site.

Hope I am not abusing the forum here, I just didn't know how much Google would let you do - guess I obsess a little about getting an answer I can understand.

My take now is that STILL the forum isn't very searchable. The search engine associated with the forum allows you to search the text of the posts, but with limited search logic, AND, OR, or WITHIN.

Google gives you the search logic, but you can only search the titles.
  9. sparky

sparky Active Member

10. MacTac

MacTac Banned

"I searched DRILL SOCKET (the only way you can do multiple words is with a space) and came up with LOTS of stuff, and don't have time to search thru ALL of it to find what I need to do, i.e. drill out the socket center hole to a larger diameter."

Could it maybe be a spelling error? Are you drilling a "socket" or is it a "sprocket"?
  11. chrisnbush

chrisnbush Member

****, sorry. I did do something wrong. This site is completely searchable thru google - titles and text. This will be a big help to me.

Thanks to all
  12. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

XLENT Tip!!! I like it!!

thanks LOu
  13. Tom

Tom Active Member

I know that there is a way to add a google searchbox at the top of the page... one that has the keyword input and then a radio button for "Just" or "Google"... I will have to look into that.

The only problem with Google is that it does not index EVERYTHING and some of the new stuff might take a while to get indexed...
  14. loquin

loquin Active Member

Exactly. I normally use the vBulletin search, as it is indexed much more regularly than GoogleBots index the site. AND, you can narrow down the scope by limiting the forum(s) which wil be searched using the advanced search option. Only when I can't find what I'm after using vBulletin's regular/advanced search do I pull out the Google hammer... :D
    Last edited: May 12, 2008
  15. Tom

Tom Active Member

Hey everyone-

I have integrated Googles site search feature into our site. You can't miss the option when you try to search the forums. Let me know if you have any problems with it.
  16. loquin

loquin Active Member