Jackshaft Better than Jackshafting?

Nice bikes. Mine kinda resembles your top photo. I went with the aluminum gastank frame and triple tree chopper forks and 14 ape hangers mounted to 51/2" horn risers, I have a double 40tooth chainring from Luna cycles that will send the power back to the 34t that's mounted to my vintage 1987 drum brake hub. Gotta love good barn finds. Hubs ate from a 1987 Javanese emei 500. Which is a 59cc moped with a Sachs 505 engine. Ina few months when I get the replacement parts for it I'll have it on the road. It was a $200 barn find. Does anyone know where I can order the jackshaft kit without the chainring
Sick bike parts sells all the jack shaft parts individually.

They don't sell the bolt on plates. And their prices are out rageous
Dude you need a one way bearing on to which the chain rings attach other wise your pedal crank will all ways spin, they are the only choice of tried and true jack shaft assembly parts because the cheap china ones are just that cheap/junk try having the parts custom made then you'll see outrageous! The only other way that works is like pedal chopper's setup with a free wheel in the middle between the pedal crank and rear gearing.

Imagining a design for transmission from a left side output motor (China Girls, etc) to a freewheeling sprocket on the left side of the bottom bracket. This would require a bottom bracket with basically two axles - sprockets on both sides connected and freewheeling on a central pedal crank axle. Someone would have to create this of course as it is not available anywhere. Simpler than jack-shafting to the right side though with less friction and fewer parts to keep tuned and adjusted. I wonder if it could be made with any off the shelf parts or would require some real innovation and a machine shop.
Would then have all the advantages of a jack-shaft. I'd like to see a heavier - than - bicycle sprockets and chain on the right side as well to a sturdy rear hub with internal gears. Anyone?

I've done it!

It took an EXTREME!!! amount of brainstorming.

The expense of research & development(R&D), experimentation and parts that don't fit is EXTREMELY!! expensive, in terms of $$, time, determination and mental setbacks.

The end product used ALL off-the-shelf relatively INEXPENSIVE parts. The expensive part was the relentless trial and error of parts that were never made to work together.

Minor machine work and two sprockets needed welding to the shaft.

No welding, fabrication or machining of the frame itself.

I haven’t actually harnessed my 212cc engine to it yet.

It SHOULD work.

The most likely part to fail are the skinny 30mm bottom bracket bearings.

If they DO fail, then considerable fabrication and machining ($$$)will be needed to be solve this.

Either that, or I’d have to go thru expensive R&D to fix it.

Last edited:
Dude you need a one way bearing on to which the chain rings attach other wise your pedal crank will all ways spin, they are the only choice of tried and true jack shaft assembly parts because the cheap china ones are just that cheap/junk try having the parts custom made then you'll see outrageous! The only other way that works is like pedal chopper's setup with a free wheel in the middle between the pedal crank and rear gearing.
Dude I already have a freewheel chainring set up made by Luna cycle. There's is made to handle the instant torque that a 3000 watt electric motor creates. Dude I'm just trying to purchase the rest of the jackshaft Setup from maybe someone that tried it for a while decided they don't like it or just not using one but is using the chainring on a different bike and just has the rest of the jackshaft parts laying around not being used and could make a little cash off it. Thats also why I was asking if anyone had a 28 hole 26 inch rim they might want to sell.

Back