Safety Beware the fenders!!!

Discussion in 'Travelling, Commuting & Safety' started by Thatperson, May 22, 2009.

1. Thatperson

Thatperson Member

I know it's been said on here many times, myself included, but I think it should be said again. I was told about the fenders breaking off and rolling around the tire and wrecking you, so I took them off and put stronger "L" brackets from the hardware store on to stop that from happening. Or so I thought...

Here is the front part that hit the ground with the tire on it.

And here is the back part.

Needless to say I won't be able to remount this one. I don't think I'll be putting any fenders back on, I might just repaint the bike and make it a hotrod. :evilgrin:

2. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

But it's not clear what broke.

Did your L-bracket fail? Maybe the nuts backed off?

Or was it something else?
  3. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

Hope you made it through unscathed.

Warnings like this are essential for those just starting out. Thanks for posting this....and I went without fenders....kind of.
  4. Thatperson

Thatperson Member

Sorry about that. It was the new L brackets that snapped. They were pretty strong and I had to use my vise and pliers to bend them into shape and they still broke.
  5. bluegoatwoods

The L bracket actually broke, huh? That's awful. And I wouldn't have expected that.

I wonder what we can do to make the fenders safe. we'll have to ponder this one.
  6. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

same set up on fender

same set up used on my cousins new bike with motor -- ((fender same))
    he's got a Happy Time
    let's see if I remember all that's happened to him his first week of riding
    tank came loose
    petcock broke
    muffler fell apart
    head bolt came out -- stripped out
    he just called me this morning -- head gasket blew

and now I need to warn him about his fenders !!!

wow -- hope that he's still HAPPY with that THING !!!

7. Axlerod

Axlerod Member

Hi ThatP;
    Mangled fender must have put you down hard! Years ago I thought it was a good idea to put fenders on my MTB. Well on a trail my knobby tire picked up a stick which folded the front fender which instantly locked up the front wheel. Lucky for me, it happened so fast, I landed on my feet.

What type of metal was your L-bracket? Aluminium perhaps?
    Al is susceptable to fatigue cracking especially when bent to 90 deg.
    I remember a tubing supplier tell me once that Al will crack if bent to the radius of the earth, when I was asking about how much I could bend some tubing.

Fenders sure are nice when you get stuck in the rain.

8. Thatperson

Thatperson Member

The brackets were steel. They came in the L shape, I just had to lessen the angle to make it match the right angle to mount. When it happened, I got VERY lucky and didn't go down. Just came to a very fast stop. Well the bike did, my heart didn't! :eek:
  9. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

I'm very glad you were not injured!!!
    Thank you for posting this as it serve as a reaffirmation to the warnings which myself and many others have posted. I personally would not use the L bracket type mounting on the front, but I know most all manufacturers these days utilize this set-up, while leaving no threaded hole in the bottom of the fork steer tube for through bolt and washer mounting. I have modified these forks by brazing in a nut securely in which to run my bolt and washer through the fender, and I also utilize the "flat" style braces (bolted with lock-tite, or riveted) over the wire braces, I don't like the wire braces for strength and surely do not trust the brace mounts on the fender So I like to replace these as well. I would also recommend there be two braces on the fender- One forward of the fork legs and one rearward. Seems like a lot of work, sure, but at what point does a little extra work and cost, over run your personal safety? Just sayin... I've also run no fenders, but if you live in wetter climes you need to be pretty hardcore, as you get soaked, dirty, and run with the "skunk stripe" up yer back! LOL
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2009
  10. angrysamoan

angrysamoan New Member

fenders a bit shakey

I've found that going to Home depot and buying 1/8" x 1" hardened steel plates about 3' long works best. Cut in half {or to proper size} grind corners round, then use nuts {with nylon inside} and lock washers. Finally, I dab on some black silicone on exposed bolt threads. Has'nt come loose since. I'm sure fenders are the most vibrating parts on a motorbike that when loose will cause mayhem! Good luck
  11. Junster

Junster Member

Quote; "I've also run no fenders, but if you live in wetter climes you need to be pretty hardcore, as you get soaked, dirty, and run with the "skunk stripe" up yer back! LOL"

Spoken like a true Washintonian Uncle Punk..

Glad you didn't get hurt ThatPerson
    Last edited: May 23, 2009
  12. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

Born and raised I'm proud to say...:grin5: Thatperson, please keep us updated as to your solution... Thanks.
  13. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

FastBoyFenders makes some nice gear out of different woods though a bit pricey. Sets for around a hundred or so. Be nice to just some of the hardware.

14. bluegoatwoods

Don't forget us mid-westerners!

I have a near-permanent skunk stripe. :)
  15. s_beaudry

s_beaudry Member

Just picked up a Cranbrook from Wallymart and man are those fenders attached just barely!

I can easily them them letting loose in just a few rides...
  16. Junster

Junster Member

I just can't figure out how you stand those winters Bluegoatwoods..
  17. bluegoatwoods

Now that you mention it, Junster, the PNW has always intrigued me over the weather. I don't exactly like rain, but I prefer it to the two month deep freeze.

I grew up in Detroit. The winters there were not much, much worse than here in central Illinois. But they were one notch worse. Here the trees leaf out about 3 weeks earlier than there. If you add that 3 weeks on the fall end, then it would seem that our winter is about 6 weeks shorter (and a little bit warmer) than theirs.

I can tell the difference and I'm grateful for it.

I'm pretty lucky; I could move to about anywhere I'd like and still be able to operate my business. And I have considered moving a bit further south. But when it comes right down to it I like my community and I like my home. (Not to mention that I cringe when I think of what it's likely to be able to command in this market)

So I guess I'll stick around.

One other thing I almost forgot to mention: I'll stick around and I'll reinforce my fenders. I'd better get right on that.
  18. RMWdave

RMWdave Member

so your sayin i have to take my pimpin' fenders off my brand new bike??? :(
  19. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

Well RMWdave,
    Thatperson got off very lucky- in most cases of this happening, the bike does not launch you off like a catapult, but rather will act as a rat trap and slam you face first into the pavement, and it happens so quick that there is little to no reaction time... There are documented cases of this, and the resulting serious injuries. I would not presume to tell anyone what to do, but be aware of this serious risk while making your decision...
  20. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

Saddlebag setups behind the seats kill 2 birds with 1 stone, deflect water coming from the tire, and give you a spot to carry road kit supplies.

I tried to put a front fender on my recumbent, but on a turn it would hit the pedal, kept bending on the same crease, so when I got home it looked as pretzled as yours.