Safety Beware the fenders!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't take the warning lightly!!!!!!

My son in law is in the hospital in critical condition cause of the fender getting into the tire and rolling around till it locked the front wheel and threw him over the bars. Of course he wasn't wearing a helmet:helmet:
This just happened Wednesday. Here's a few photos.

Wizzer bike. 001.jpg

Wizzer bike. 002.jpg

Wizzer bike. 003.jpg

Wizzer bike. 004.jpg

Wizzer bike. 005.jpg

WOW! Hope he gets better quick. That looked like it was one heck of a nasty wreck. How fast was he going when that happened?

My son in law is in the hospital in critical condition cause of the fender getting into the tire and rolling around till it locked the front wheel and threw him over the bars. Of course he wasn't wearing a helmet:helmet:
This just happened Wednesday. Here's a few photos.

Who is your son in law? a member of this forum?

I have never seen a wheel so damaged.

I hope he's okay.

Last edited:
Sorry to see this happening again & hope your son in law makes a complete recovery.
Can't stress enough to wear helmets & SECURE those metal fenders.

WOW! Hope he gets better quick. That looked like it was one heck of a nasty wreck. How fast was he going when that happened?
He was going around 25 to 30 mph.
No he's not a member of the forum. I got wind out this place from a friend on another forum and had to post this up. So WEAR A HELMET AND REMOVE THE FENDER OR SECURE THOSE FENDERS.

looks more like he hit something at 50mph,thats a high speed impact on that wheel for that kind of damage. doesnt look like the fender did it.

looks more like he hit something at 50mph,thats a high speed impact on that wheel for that kind of damage. doesnt look like the fender did it.
Well we were at the scene before they life flighted him to the hospital and He didn't hit something. Take a good look at the photos and put your glasses on.

Well the surgery went well. They had to put 2 plates and screws in his shoulder. They took him off the ventilator and feeding tube out and he is in his own room now. He able to talk and eat now. They are starting rehab on his shoulder today. So he doing allot better.

brutal

I'm very sorry for your son and family. I hope he mends fast and complete.

This perhaps casts new light on fender related crashes. I see 3.5 revolutions of the wheel wrapping the fender stay around the axle.

Did an object (road debris carried by tire) lodge between the fender/stay and tire driving the fender forward with rotation? The L-bracket may have sheared off as the fender and stay passed under it.

This is different than the L-bracket coming loose allowing fender to rotate under the tire and cause a skid.

If this is the case the most secure fender mounting is still unsafe. Think I'll do a search on this sort of thing occurring on motorcycles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back