bgf 49cc friction drive kit

good price cheaper than staton theyre kit 180 and no motor340 with motor i'll half to see what to do next i got it running a little bgf sent new bearing roller and shaft but the bearing were to big so i used one of the good bearings ant then slice the other bearing housing off it works ok i guess still got a lot of work to figure it all out though to get it doing good

Well. I bought one; all went well for the first couple weeks.
Aside from being extremely loud and a finicky starter the only
thing wrong with the engine is that it has too much torque
for the clutch drum and bearings that come with the kit.
that and the flimsy choke lever that I replaced with one i
made of brass. I liked the big heavy,cogged, cast iron roller,
but it's flywheel effect probably contributed to the demise of
bearings. Also, you need to round off the sharp edges of the
cogs a bit to keep your tire from becoming coleslaw. I will say:
this, that hf 52 has ppplennty of power. If you buy one of these,
get a staton clutch drum and better bearings before you hang it
on your bike.
I'm riding a staton kit now with a Honda gx35. It's no where near
as fast, but its quiet and totally reliable. I still use the BGF off
road occasionally, but i don't trust it enuff for a daily driver.

well i got a dax kit back in july so i'm useing the boy go fast motor that came with my wanna be friction drive i love that motor and my dax friction drive is the bomb it will do 25 to 30 easy and i weigh 225 at least and i got it on my cranbrick i wanna put it on a 18 or 24 speed mtn bike that cranbrick is heavy if i get it on a liter bike it will probally go a lot faster i would like to loose some weight my self actually too i need to loose about 60lbs and then i know my bike will scoot ...

It truly is a mighty motor, buttry. I got the BGF kit for $199/freeshipping.
When you figure $119 for the engine from MSP + $15 for a tank + $20 shpg.,
The BGF wasn't that bad a deal. I'm gonna use the HF 52cc on a belt drive
build in progress, the mockup seen below. I used a bit of rope for the belt
and didn't realize i had it looped thru the frame until I tried to put it together.
DUH! Just the same, I've finally got it together; just waiting on a clutch drum.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 366
  • P1010187.JPG
    P1010187.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 338
BGF friccin' Update,
They're back on the market again, supposedly 'new and improved',but the
pictures don't look any different,$220+$34 shpg.
After new bearing, clutch drum, and a different shaft, here's what I've done
with the kit portion,( mounted the engine to a staton fric-kit on other bike).
The belt drive, awkward tho it may appear, really works great,30mph+
and a lot better mileage than than the friction.

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 407
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 338
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 308
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 378
I should have read this post first. I got a BGF kit for a friend today and the shaft will barely turn so I took it apart to see what is up. Wow is this thing made bad. For one thing the mount that the engine is on is not square, so there is no way that the the shaft will align. The outside bearing boss is out of round so as soon as you put the bearing in place it warps the outer race and the bearing will not turn. Also the bolt holes are all that is used to align the engine to the clutch bell, so I know that is out of alignment. Also the adjustment clamp is just a seat post clamp in some sleeve with a shaft out the other side and no outer tube to pull all together, the threads just bottom out and are too long to even touch the clamp. I'm upset with this thing, I told my friend I would install it for free, It should have taken about 20 minutes to install now I have to find a way to repair all this junk, and it may not be possible. A waste of 277 bucks. BGF should at least run some of his kits and see if they will hold up. Have fun if you can, Egor

Last edited:
Had the same problems with mine; guess I was lucky. I got it for $200,free shpg.
After replacing bearings, shaft, etc., I turned the kit into the belt drive above.
I resolved the alignment issue to a workable extent by boring out the engine side
bearing slightly so the drum can wiggle just enuf to adapt to the opening clutch.
It's a stop gap measure at best, but it seems to be working pretty well. Still,
the life span of my clutch & drum has likely been shortened.

Update, I hate to say it but it is actually worse again than I thought. Looking at the bearing bosses they are so out of alignment that they just hold the bearings out of square to the shaft. It has a portion of a pump or some other part to use as the clutch housing that is used to make the connection to the main bracket. On this part they just drilled out the threads to run bolts through to the engine. The bosses do not accommodate the idea, so as you would snug up the bolts it just compresses the parts. I think I am going to just make small sleeves over each bolt to take its place. I dont know who engineered this thing but what a mess, all the critical alignments have not been met. It is possible that the Chinese are trying to get even for something, LOL but BGF has a lot of good feedback on his site, so if I were him I would stay away from this kit. I can make anything work but this is a challenge. Have fun, Dave

PS: I hope the engine is as good as posted or I'm in trouble.

yeah guys that was the same thing i ran into and that motor is not worth 220 plus shipping if you do that go to monster scooter parts and get you a new motor there and a tank for 129 plus what ever the tank is and the motor that came with the kit is good just watch the mounting bracket that bolts to the friction channel it breaks to easy .

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 333
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 333
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 353
Back