Centrifugal BGF centrifigal clutch failure

Discussion in 'Transmission / Drivetrain' started by Skyliner70cc, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

Well,
    The centrifigual clutch failed after less than an hour total time on the engine. Luckily she failed in sight of my home. The clutch made some noise and simply stopped engaging but would put a load on the motor when the throttle was opened.

It'll be a week or so before I get time off from work where I can remove the housing and take a peak. I'm hoping it is something simple but the noise it made before it stopped engaging was not promising.

Anybody have this thing fail on them? I'm bummed out. After years building bikes for others, this was supposed to be my dream bike. I'm sure its an easy fix or replacement but better for this to occur on a test ride to break in the rings then on a long trip.

Tally since new:
    1. broken starter cord
    2. broken centrifugal clutch
    3. broken spirit for now but not permament.

2. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

Hang tough, Brother. :-/

3. POPS

POPS Member

Sorry for your bad luck SKY. I really wonder about BGF quality or lack there of...POPS

4. jg767

jg767 Member

What does BGF stand for?

5. BGF stands for BoyGoFast he is a ebay seller of motor kits and parts. Ive bought some parts off him with no trouble yet but I always buy the motor kits that are the limited edition from powerkingshops ive had no problems what so ever and the quality is top notch so far. PKS is now starting to sell parts as well so bgf wont be the only choice out there.

6. iron_monkey

iron_monkey Guest

Few people use the centrifugal clutch so ur really on your own here. Im interested in what really happened as i have one too.

7. Skyliner70cc

I haven't had much time due to work this weekend-I'm putting in 20 hours this Sat and Sun. However, I did pop the cover. Teh clutch pads themself look good, I'm thinking the one way bearing let go because I'm no longer able to pedal start engine.

8. Flapdoodle

Flapdoodle Member

Correct me if I am wrong... Once you install the BGF or similar clutch you are stuck with it because you have to modify the original clutch? Also, it is absolutely necessary to have a wider crank?

9. Skyliner70cc

The BGF engine had the centrifugal clutch already installed on it. I didn't want to mess with installing one. The wider crank is essential.

10. POPS

POPS Member

I bought 2 zoombicycles 80cc LTD kits and 2 centrfugal/ pull start kits. They were a perfect fit and totally reversible. You don't do anything to the motor that you can't change back. If you want to see how to do the install go to Zoom,click on pull start or clutch in parts and there is a PDF there for the install. It really is as easy as it looks with this combo. I can't speak for any other motors as to wether it will fit....POPS

11. POPS

POPS Member

Sky
    Maybe check the bolt on the crank. We both know it doesn't have lock tight on it. If it comes just a little loose KAO's will prevail. The clutch will slip on the crank which sounds like whats going on. Could be the problem. Just a shot in the dark ...POPS

12. Skyliner70cc

Pops,
    Thanks, I will check it tomorrow after my wife and I buy our first home together. Tomorrow is the day we close!!!!!!

13. POPS

POPS Member

Sky
    No problem and congrats on your first home. Let us know what you find out in that clutch...POPS

14. Lazieboy

Lazieboy Member

Interchangeability

What up. My grubee skyhawk 66cc piston rings and other bearings went bad, so instead of buying $110 in parts to fix I was thing of getting http://www.gasbike.net/grubee-2010-...otor-kit-black-finish-bicycle-engine-kit.html so i would have spare parts. So is the crank on my MB wide enough for these with pullstart, Now with the centrifigal clutch there is no clutch hand leaver correct. It realeases on RPM's or something.:dunce:

15. james65

james65 Member

I agree with POPS. I think that your clutch is slipping on the motor shaft. I have three BGF c-clutch bikes all have major miles on them. Only one gave me trouble at first. Don't give up on it, as you will grow to love it later.

ROCKSTIEN made a post on the sympton you are talking about. Look him up in the users section. If he is not there check the other board.

16. Lazieboy

Lazieboy Member

Says US residents cant buy motorkits.