Centrifugal BGF centrifigal clutch failure

Skyliner70cc

Local time
11:29 PM
Well,
The centrifigual clutch failed after less than an hour total time on the engine. Luckily she failed in sight of my home. The clutch made some noise and simply stopped engaging but would put a load on the motor when the throttle was opened.

It'll be a week or so before I get time off from work where I can remove the housing and take a peak. I'm hoping it is something simple but the noise it made before it stopped engaging was not promising.

Anybody have this thing fail on them? I'm bummed out. After years building bikes for others, this was supposed to be my dream bike. I'm sure its an easy fix or replacement but better for this to occur on a test ride to break in the rings then on a long trip.

Tally since new:
1. broken starter cord
2. broken centrifugal clutch
3. broken spirit for now but not permament.

BGF stands for BoyGoFast he is a ebay seller of motor kits and parts. Ive bought some parts off him with no trouble yet but I always buy the motor kits that are the limited edition from powerkingshops ive had no problems what so ever and the quality is top notch so far. PKS is now starting to sell parts as well so bgf wont be the only choice out there.

Few people use the centrifugal clutch so ur really on your own here. Im interested in what really happened as i have one too.

I haven't had much time due to work this weekend-I'm putting in 20 hours this Sat and Sun. However, I did pop the cover. Teh clutch pads themself look good, I'm thinking the one way bearing let go because I'm no longer able to pedal start engine.

Correct me if I am wrong... Once you install the BGF or similar clutch you are stuck with it because you have to modify the original clutch? Also, it is absolutely necessary to have a wider crank?

The BGF engine had the centrifugal clutch already installed on it. I didn't want to mess with installing one. The wider crank is essential.

I bought 2 zoombicycles 80cc LTD kits and 2 centrfugal/ pull start kits. They were a perfect fit and totally reversible. You don't do anything to the motor that you can't change back. If you want to see how to do the install go to Zoom,click on pull start or clutch in parts and there is a PDF there for the install. It really is as easy as it looks with this combo. I can't speak for any other motors as to wether it will fit....POPS

Back