Bicycle bags/panniers

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Esteban, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

2. RedBaronX

RedBaronX Member

there is a guy takes these bags, adds a couple straps, and turns around and sells them for $50 each: Swiss Ammo Bag

or you can buy TWO bags for the price of one of his, and add straps yourself...

For the ones you posted, I saw them before, but I kept reading the dimensions wrong-- the first dimensions they mention are for the compartments within each bag! I was like "wow, a saddle bag 6 1/2 x 6 1/2 x 9 1/2"h would look SILLY!" thanks for reposting them,forcing me to look at them again. I'm probably going to get the ones you posted!

3. Fulltimer

Fulltimer Member

They just might be what I have been looking for. Thanks for the link!

Terry

4. RedBaronX

RedBaronX Member

I was going to make leather ones, but my GOD my bike is heavy enough as it is... I just put in an order for those on Sportsman's Guide. Since my bike has to live outside, I am probably going to weather proof them, either with oil cloth wax or by treating it with linseed oil

5. Fulltimer

Fulltimer Member

I remember when I was about 10 years old making something out of wood, don't remember what it was. I was in a small closed in area and applying Linseed Oil to the wood. I spent maybe 1/2 hour on it. I soon had a splitting headache and up came my lunch! I was as sick as a dog the rest of the day. So be sure to use it in a well ventilated area!

Terry

6. RedBaronX

RedBaronX Member

I've finished/refinished four rifle stocks with linseed oil, so I've "been there, done that"... though I've never gotten sick from it...

7. hybrid

hybrid Member

I ordered these off ebay a couple of days ago. Got em' to go with the bike I bought today (different thread), hoping I timed it so that they would arrive TODAY, but of course, you can never accuratley estimate travel time for something someone else is shipping.
    Anyway, I paid $14 dollars for them new. They're nylon so lighter fabric but (hopefully durable). I'll post more pics of them and the bike once they're mounted. Hope this serves as a good alternate and inexpensive solution.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Weaver-Leather-...845?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cee71a585

8. RedBaronX

RedBaronX Member

I saw those as well while I was browsing for saddle bags, but I was originally going to go with leather... I had wanted to make some myself, but I just don't have the $100+ for a hide, and won't for a long time.

Since those you posted are for horseback riding, I bet they are very good quality

9. hybrid

hybrid Member

I sure hop so. Funny, I'd actually considered the ammo bags you were
    referring to as well.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  10. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

To those who ordered the bags, let us know how they turn out. Pix , too.

11. machiasmort

machiasmort Active Member

Some good ideas being tossed around here, but I need to remind you guy's of a few things! One is that safety should come first, you need a thick backboard on a MB! You don't need anything finding your spokes on a MB!!! Can't say that enough!

As a MB'r, I wanted Cargo Cargo Cargo!!!

Here's a project that I undertook. Leather would be better but is heavy. You need a special sewing machine! I thought about just dunking these in used motor oil, washing in hot water to remove the excess. So what if they smell? So does the bike!!! LOL!

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=28273

12. RedBaronX

RedBaronX Member

the Swedish med bags from Sportsman's Guide came today. They are really heavy duty and already coated in something to waterproof them, kinda like a rubber coating. The red cross emblem is just a patch, so that's coming off as well.

I'm going to modify them to hang on each side (they are designed to just hang over the fender). I've got a back rack that has side thingies to keep something like this from getting into the wheels

They are a little longer than I would have made them if I had built these from scratch, but for the price they are real nice.

13. machiasmort

I enjoyed viewing the links! Good luck w/them! Be sure to show us the results!

14. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

Machiasmort was making some bike bags ..I think for sale.. do not know if he has any left or if he is still making them..

15. machiasmort

Thanks Ted! I'd make some up, but don't stock them tho!!! LOL! Willing to help a Brother w/knowledge on making them just as quick also!

I've used mine several times this summer with great sucess!

Try hauling a case of beer with those Swiss Army bags! LOL! I did twice w/mine! Over a mile and the bags are no worse for wear! No smushing bread or rolls from the store any more! Check out that link I supplied above!

16. TerraPilot

TerraPilot Member

Though intended to hang from your handle bars, I found a way to hang one of these pantier style on my back tire. It collapses and bungies neatly to the side when not in use kind of like a top hat. While extended for use this baby will qualify you as a real nerd type. You know, the Harry Potter look. LOL I'm too old to care, Quite roomy too.
    I wont post pictures unless requested. Too much trouble less someone is interested
    Price is right too. My GEBE motor rig only allows one mount. Think how nerdy you could be if you hung these on both sides of the back wheel for $15.75.

http://www.meritline.com/special-canvas-bag-for-bicycle---p-30670.aspx

17. yodar

yodar New Member

order two sets but they are fitted for english style fenders

LOOK HOW NARROW THE WEB IS BETWEEN THE BAGS. They wont fit my cruiser unless I add in a good 1 1/2 inch additional webbing

yodar

18. RedBaronX

RedBaronX Member

I've already cut the bags apart so they are two separate bags

[​IMG]

I'll be adding buckles and straps tomorrow so I can buckle them to the back rack

19. RedBaronX

RedBaronX Member

here is the final product:

[​IMG]

20. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

Looks great..they were made for that bike..