Bicycle Camping Trailer.

Discussion in 'Travelling, Commuting & Safety' started by The Texas Pirate!, Aug 21, 2007.

1. I am building a Camping trailer that you can just, unhook from the bike, unfold, and climb in and go to sleep, all within 5 minutes. Im building it around the tent-cot by Kamprite(TM). I want to go on a cross country trek, but dont want to hassle with a long camp set up, clear ground of sticks, stones, putting down tarp, unfolding tent, setting up tent, spiking tent,
    digging rain gutter around tent, ect. ect.

heres a pic. of me, & my dog Herculese, in the cot-tent for refrence.
    still working on getting the rest of the materials for the trailer, (tires, and four peices of square tubing) Im taking photos of the progress in case I might make a how to manual out of it, or a what NOT to do. LOL.:D

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      37.3 KB
      Views:

2. JE

JE Guest

Great Idea.I'm working on a trailer for my bike also.

3. locoWelder

locoWelder Guest

Here's some shots of mine to help you

Attached Files:

4. Ive searched the web for campin' trailers and have only found two, one takes about 20 minutes to set up, you have to unload all of your suplies, and costs like $700.00 the second one uses the same cot-tent, but, you have to takeyour gear off the tent, the tent off the trailer then the tires off the trailer then put the tent back on the trailer frame and costs like $400.00
    I can build mine for a heck of alot less and have alot less hassle.

Hopefully :)

5. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

Sure you can do it better AND probably at a quarter of the cost.

Have you got your engine on? That might come into play, testing your system at slow speeds versus buzzing along at 25plus mph.

The REAL puzzler is finding a decent, yet not too heavy air mattress.

Keep an eye out in the GeneralDollar type stores, summer swimming season is about to end, and those two dollar air mattresses may go on clearance sale, and even though they last a few nights before becoming worthless, if you can get 10 for $10, they can be converted to small tarps when they no longer hold air.

6. skyl4rk

skyl4rk Guest

I've been reading logs on crazyguyonabike.com, and there are lots of comments about waiting for the tent to dry out before you can get started. It would be great to be able to start riding with the tent still set up so you can dry it out. A quick getaway early in the morning is good to avoid traffic and when stealth camping to avoid getting caught. You can deal with a little wind resistance for the time it takes to dry out, then fold it up and go.

7. No, I havent gotten a motor yet, and my bicycle was recently stolen from my driveway.:evil: It is a minor setback, it was a walmart bike, and only cost me $70.00, and since its so comon there is no chance of ever finding it again. :cry:
    The tent-cot is quite comfortable with out an airmatress, as it is a cot but that sounds like a good Idea.:D

8. Are you welding, or bolting it together? I'm going to bolt mine together.

9. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

sooooo??? where did this go??????

10. loquin

loquin Active Member

Nice job, loco - what's the frame made with? EMT conduit?

11. jimmyglitter

jimmyglitter Member

12. KiDD

KiDD Member

That hennessyhammock is cool. but what is there are no trees? Like in the dessert?

13. loquin

loquin Active Member

Trees! We don't need no stinkin' trees!

(see the pic...)

Attached Files:

14. I have failed three times but am embarking on a fourth attempt to build this dream trailer of mine. I have discovered new ways NOT to build a trailer, and that I am mechanicly enclined..... I can screw up anything. LOL

15. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Loquin, isnt a forest supposed to have some type of tree in it? That pic of yours is pretty country but me thinks it needs a new name, obtw Im a big desert fan.

16. loquin

loquin Active Member

That's what I thought before I moved to Arizona, LOL. I had other (apparently) foolish ideas, too, like rivers being more than 10 feet wide, and staying wet all year round. Asphalt NOT having a liquid state after it's in place. NEVER hearing a sentence that contains the phrase "Temperatures dropping" and "to 110 degrees" in the same sentence! Transporting prisoners barefoot, so that IF they escape, they can't walk on the sidewalk or street without actually burning their feet... You know - little things like that.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  17. KiDD

KiDD Member

I can't wait to see this come to a conclusion. I want to build my own trailer.

18. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

With this idea comes the question of power and what will a small cc motor pull......Id say you need 1 of those child pull behind trailers and then in that you could carry your camping supplies like a lite tent, cook stove, fishing poles or what ever. I dont think its possible to make a camping trailer per say due to the weight. Just my thoughts.

19. azbill

azbill Active Member

it depends on how much you weigh as well
    I only weigh 145, so pulling 100lbs of trailer and grandkids still only hit 245
    lots of guys here that size with engines pulling them just fine
    if I was a bigger guy, I don't know how much I could pull

20. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Here's the most practical minimalist solution I've found to the question. I've seen, and done a walk around, of one of these trailers, at a local craft fair. The guy who owned it said he's basically copied the design straight out of the website, using a folding camp cot from Cabela's.

http://www.tonystrailers.com/nomad/

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008