Bicycle Cargo Trailer

Discussion in 'Bicycle Trailers' started by Samdallas214, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Samdallas214

Samdallas214 Member

I will be ordering a new Bicycle Cargo Trailer to replace an old POS one I have now, works but just to small.

This one will haul up to 180 pound most BCT will not haul half that and cost $200.+
    this one will cost me $100-$110.00 total including shipping

what do you thank , they have them with 16" tires for $100.00
    or 20" Tires for $110.00
    There's a little difference in the trailers design, but other then tire size all other spec are the same and the haul space is the same on both BCT.

Witch tire size is better ?
    I would thank the 20" tires would be better and more stable and well worth the $5.00 extra per tire, but never know.

this is there 16" Tire Size Cargo Trailer for $100.00

20" Tires $110.00

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013

2. grinningremlin

grinningremlin Active Member

Pretty cool, may have to get one myself someday.I'd go for the 20", if nothing else the ease of finding tires/tubes.
  3. Samdallas214

Samdallas214 Member

did not thank of that but I tank your right
  4. Lee_K

Lee_K Member

I've built several recumbent bikes and trikes and really like 20 inch BMX tires and wheels. BMX parts need to be tough because they are expected to be abused. There are lots of tire choices. Also, the photos look like the 20 inch version has more spokes.
  5. roughrider

roughrider Member

Yep, I'll agree. 20" is better. It'll handle bumps better too.

I notice the second trailer has reinforcing bars on the outside of the tire. There are some very high end trailers that get around that, but for the less expensive trailer, I think it's a tougher design. It also means you can easily replace the wheels with other bicycle wheels, so you won't have to buy anything special.

I was looking on Amazon for another trailer myself, and I found one called
  6. roughrider

roughrider Member

oops! Hit the wrong button! The one I found by the same company is this one. It has sides, but no cover. All the covers on all my trailers have either had zippers break or became torn, so I don't like soft covers any more. But that's just me.
  7. Tanstaafl

Tanstaafl Member

Pretty neat little trailers all. Would be great for doing some extended cruising, tent and other camping gear, food, few spare parts, talk about doing a vacation on the cheap, this would rate near the top.
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  8. Samdallas214

Samdallas214 Member

I was going to get that one but,I did not get that one because of the 110 pound maximum lode the ones I posted have a 180 pound max lode.
    I'm planning in adding reinforcement on all 4 sides regard of witch one i got .
    As far as the cover there fine for now , I can sew so I will be making my own any ways
  9. roughrider

roughrider Member

Oh. I did not notice the load capacity was that different. Yeah, that's important. I've found in practice that I rarely exceed 75 pounds though. One time, I did see a picture of a guy hauling a piano on a home-made trailer!
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  10. roughrider

roughrider Member

I gotta add something now. I've been researching trailer design because I'm thinking of building one as a welding project. One point that the engineers keep saying is that smaller wheels are stronger! Looking at the designs of Surlys and BoBs, I see that they use small wheels. Those are expensive, well made trailers. Another, less expensive trailer is the M-Wave luggage trailer. It has good reviews for toughness, and again, 16" wheels.
  11. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Now trailers are my speciality; some might call me an authority on the subject!!!

I would go with the 20 inch because you can get a greater selection of tyres for the trailer. Considering that those trailers don't have suspension (unlike the wonderful BoB IBEX with it's suspended rear end) you really want the 20 incher because it allows the fitment of large 3 inch section balloon tyres, which can be run at low pressure to give some level of suspension effect.
  12. Samdallas214

Samdallas214 Member

I paid for the 20" trailer today

I paid for the 20" trailer today, after talking to the trailers manufacture, I was told the 20" trailer will accept a smaller 16" tire. and the 16" trailer has 1 1/2" less hauling space.
    1 1/2" might not sound like much but it better to have than not to have .
    I'll post updates no how well the trailer hold up. Thanks for all your input
  13. DoIt AllPauls

DoIt AllPauls Member

Glad to see you got it ordered.
    Sam can I borrow your trailer ;-)
  14. Samdallas214

Samdallas214 Member

Sure you can every 2ed Monday of the week, You know how I am about my MB, tools, and now trailer would not let god use them.
    Ill give you my old homemade one it needs a lot of work though will cost more to fix then to just buy one.
    That's why I just replaced it it's just to lite wait and flimsy aluminum is not the way to go with these trailers . But you are welcome to it or I might sell it for the aluminum I bet i could get $5-$100.00 for it lol
  15. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

I no longer let "anyone" use my tools or gear. Every time i've lent out my stuff, it comes back broken, damaged or scratched and scuffed up, of which it must be replaced with a new and shiny item.
    I take great pride in maintaining everything i have (including my lady friends) because i want them to work to perfection and operate flawlessly whenever their use is required.
  16. Dankoozy

Dankoozy Member

I might attempt making one at some stage, throw an engine inside and happy days. Maybe a Honda GX100 or GX120 or something. Plenty of space for it
  17. Samdallas214

Samdallas214 Member

You forgot a few though

Every time I've lent out my stuff, it comes back broken, damaged or scratched and scuffed up

That's if you are lucky enough to even get it back.
    And then the same person that did the breaking, damaging, scratching, scuffing up and loosing ask to borrow something again and you say no, they get all ****ed off

So just get it over with and **** them off the first time they ask and tell them even if you were god I would not lend them to you.
    Is the way I look at it.
  18. DoIt AllPauls

DoIt AllPauls Member

I thought about making a homemade trailer but I don't think I could build one for much less the $110.00 Sam paid .
    just the 20" wheels would cost me $20.00 a wheel .

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  19. Dankoozy

Dankoozy Member

If you find an abandoned kid's bike in a deek or know someone who wants to get rid of one thats the 2 wheels sorted. I found a kids bike on the road here last year, but I went asking around if it belonged to one of the neighbours and it did. If I was a bit meaner it could have been a trailer now. I wouldn't chance putting an engine on a lot of the pre-built trailers, they look very light which is desireable if yer pedaling I suppose

Also interesting is the Dutch 'bakfiets' design. A bike or 2 with a mangled frame could be the start for making one of these. Ya just have to use the bits of scrap that life gives you
  20. DoIt AllPauls

DoIt AllPauls Member

kids and riding bikes and playing outside is becoming a thing of the past,