Bicycle voted best invention

U

utsahan

The humble bicycle has won a UK national survey of people's favourite inventions.

Listeners to BBC Radio 4's You and Yours programme were invited to vote in an online poll looking at the most significant innovations since 1800.

It was an easy victory for the bicycle which won more than half of the vote.

Read More...

Last edited by a moderator:
Some time ago, I read an article in the Scientific American that said a human on a bicycle was the most efficient form of transport available. They rated the distance traveled, by the weight of the creature, and the calories burned. Second place was a salmon swimming. The cycling human was something like three times more efficient.

Right...so if u go by that the ultimate creature would have to be a salmon on a bicycle.............eyecatching ;)

utsahan

The humble bicycle has won a UK national survey of people's favourite inventions.
Thanks for your post...

This is not at all surprising; I love the bicycle. Forget about efficient transport, blah blah blah... for a second, and simply have a long look at one. They are beautiful; one of the most basic yet amazing mechanical designs ever conceived. I can stare at one for an hour... hahaha...

Riding one in the right conditions is literally heaven.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have to agree with you bean. a good majority of us are over a half century old and love our bicycles and always have. we have just modified them now so we dont have to peddle unless we want to :cool:

I guess one better than a salmon would be, a jaguire. If his pedals were going 60 MPH, imagine what a 23 speed bicycle would be going, downhill, with the wind. Shwooosh! there he goes right by you and all you could see was a blurr!

Back