Big Legal Hitch With Street Lights/horn

Mike S

Local time
2:18 PM
After solving the lighting problem and applying for a patent, I have come into a big legal problem. I wanted to apply for a moped license in Illinois and was told by Illinois Secretary of State that it is illegal in Illinois to install a motor on a bicycle frame. They are in the process of making a decision on this, but to date, a motorized bicycle is illegal on the streets even if it has all the
lighting/horn, etc. required by Illinois law for a motorcycle. I have to decide what to do. We were getting ready to make a video, and wanted to shoot with plates on the bike. What a bummer. The bike has turn signals, stop light, front halogen light and a horn, and is still illegal. Mike S

I don't think I'd sweat it. That sounds more like a bureaucrat trying to get rid of you than actual law. He just figured he'd be done with you the easy way.

Ride like a boy scout and the cops won't even notice you.

After solving the lighting problem and applying for a patent, I have come into a big legal problem. I wanted to apply for a moped license in Illinois and was told by Illinois Secretary of State that it is illegal in Illinois to install a motor on a bicycle frame.
The IL motor vehicle code does not say that motorized bicycles are prohibited.
As long as the engine falls under the moped engine size/speed imitations, no registration or insurance is required, as those are for motor vehicles only and can't be applied to bicycles under the current IL MVC. And anything with a moped-size engine wouldn't need a license endorsement anyway.

Under Chapter 1 "Title and Definitions"-
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilc...SeqEnd=29300000&ActName=Illinois+Vehicle+Code.

the technical definition of a bicycle does not prohibit use of a motor:
"... (625 ILCS 5/1‑106) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 1‑106)
Sec. 1‑106. Bicycle. Every device propelled by human power upon which any person may ride, having two tandem wheels except scooters and similar devices.
(Source: P.A. 85‑951.) ..."

Note that no mention of motorized bicycles being prohibited is mentioned, only that it must be able to be propelled by human power.
And the "scooters" this section refers to are children's unmotorized kick scooters, because any motorized street-legal scooter (like a Vespa) would have a VIN#, and codes elsewhere cover them.

Under Chapter 11 Article 15, "Bicycles", there is no mention that motorized bicycles are prohibited or allowed:
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilc...eqEnd=120700000&ActName=Illinois+Vehicle+Code.

That might change in the future, but that's the way it is now.
I emailed the state DMV website, and this was their explanation.

----------

They are in the process of making a decision on this, but to date, a motorized bicycle is illegal on the streets even if it has all the lighting/horn, etc. required by Illinois law for a motorcycle.
Who exactly told you this?
I have to decide what to do. We were getting ready to make a video, and wanted to shoot with plates on the bike. What a bummer. The bike has turn signals, stop light, front halogen light and a horn, and is still illegal. Mike S
I have noted elsewhere:
a bicycle cannot be registered as a moped in IL at all, because there's no way to get a title for a bicycle, because a bicycle doesn't have a VIN# (just using any serial number for an IL title won't do; the IL registration system only accepts federal-format VIN#s).
~

Perhaps you could licence it as a custom made motorcycle?
In Illinois you cannot do this.

To register a vehicle, you need a title, and to get a title issued, you need a VIN#.

IL's registration system will not accept anything but federal-format 17-digit VIN#s. Bicycles have serial numbers, but don't have VIN#s at all. You can't legally make one up, and there's no way to get one from the IL Dept of Motor Vehicles.

{When a motor vehicle manufacturer applies a VIN# to a vehicle, they are stating that the vehicle qualifies into some federal classification of motor vehicles.... and there's no federal class of motor vehicles that bicycles could technically qualify under}
~

Typically, at the DMV for every state where I've ever lived, you can get a form for the sate to issue a VIN for 'one-of' vehicles, kit vehicles, and the like. You fill out the pertinent data, give 'em a few bucks, and you get a new VIN issued. Then, that VIN is used to register it.

"Ride like a boy scout and the cops won't even notice you."

sooo true. im from boston, kinda like illinois haha, but anyways i been riding alot lately and running into cops. the most ive been told is "hi, how are you" the rest just look at you. but what i figured is i was riding safley, wearing a helmet and have lighting on it.

oo and btw i plan on registering. i havent yet

QUOTE=Mike S;147321]After solving the lighting problem and applying for a patent, I have come into a big legal problem. I wanted to apply for a moped license in Illinois and was told by Illinois Secretary of State that it is illegal in Illinois to install a motor on a bicycle frame. They are in the process of making a decision on this, but to date, a motorized bicycle is illegal on the streets even if it has all the
lighting/horn, etc. required by Illinois law for a motorcycle. I have to decide what to do. We were getting ready to make a video, and wanted to shoot with plates on the bike. What a bummer. The bike has turn signals, stop light, front halogen light and a horn, and is still illegal. Mike S[/QUOTE]

GE mike It seems to me that all tour "hard work" patenting some thing a 10 year old with a soldering iron and basic knologe of OHMs lawcould build. Was for not. AH Justice:D

How would one register a custom built car there?
Typically, at the DMV for every state where I've ever lived, you can get a form for the sate to issue a VIN for 'one-of' vehicles, kit vehicles, and the like. You fill out the pertinent data, give 'em a few bucks, and you get a new VIN issued. Then, that VIN is used to register it.
IL does do that--but the catch there is, that there is a technical inspection. The vehicle must be built to comparable roadworthiness standards currently in place for the class of motor vehicle that you are applying it under--and bicycles can't pass technical standards for motorcycles. It's not just lights and horns (which need to be DOT-rated)--it's wheel strength, frame strength and braking performance too.

For another thing, all tires for street-legal vehicles need to be DOT-rated,,, and there's no bicycle tires that are DOT-rated. So they can fail your inspection for the tires alone.
~

Back