Bigger gas tanks?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by bikejock, Dec 31, 2014.

1. bikejock

bikejock Member

I'm looking t getting a bigger gas tank for the 4 stroke build I'm starting pretty soon. (getting the motor in February and the bike in April or May) I'm using an Electra beach cruiser for the bike and the 7G 4 stroke cause I'm on a budget. Now I saw it only had a 1.5 litter tank. Is there a good reputable seller that sells 1 gallon tanks? I wold like to build my own tank but welding tools are expensive.

2. Gobisox

Gobisox Member

Hey Bikejock,

I would ask around if someone knows how to weld or look into a local place. I went with a 2 tank system that holds a total of 1 gallon. They are made out of 4" diameter steel cylinders. Nabbed some vented caps and necks off ebay. A friend welded it together for me. I sealed them and are pluggin along fine.
    bike shots 004.jpg

3. butre

butre Well-Known Member

hit up ebay and look for motorcycle gas tanks.

4. bikejock

bikejock Member

Nice! I was thinking of going with a duel tank set up. Is there a way to link two fuel lines with one? Perhaps some kind of fuel valve splitter?

5. KCvale

KCvale Motorized Bicycle Vendor

You can put a Whizzer tank on it.

[​IMG]

They hold a bit more than a gallon.

6. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

Fuel tanks have been made from all kinds of things, including 4" PVC pipe.
    I don't know what the long term durability of the PVC pipe tanks has been.

7. KCvale

PVC plastic is a horrible plastic choice, the only gas resistant plastic is HDPE (High Density Polyethylene) and MDPE (Medium Density Polyethylene), it is what plastic gas cans are made with, and what most every liquid bottle in your laundry room is made of as well.
    Want a cheap plastic gas tank? Go look at the bottom of the laundry bottles for HDPE.

8. Gobisox

Gobisox Member

The tanks are linked, although I run them independent of each other. Each empty into a sediment bowl, then to a brass T that feeds a single copper fuel line. When researching this type of set up there were problems listed with flow due to potential vacuums developing as one would empty faster than the other. I just run one at a time using the shut off valves in the sediment bowls.

9. Gobisox

Gobisox Member

I have always been intrigued by small Oxygen cylinders. Cap the end. Drill and tap. Nice vintage shape too. But that's just to my taste admittedly. Haven't done it as I think if I went to another build right now I might be met with divorce papers. :)

Gobi

10. Rebel Riders MB

Rebel Riders MB New Member

I've been wanting to carry more fuel as well. I haven't tried it yet but I was thinking of using the stock tank like normal and also have a rear rack tank I can use like a reserve Royal Tank-1.jpg

ElGordo67 likes this.
  11. bikejock

bikejock Member

I was thinking of getting one of those to! Only problem is the site custommotoredbicycles.com requires Paypal and I don't trust Paypal what so ever. Paypal just doesn't seem to have a good security. Anyone know if I can order one without needing a a Paypal account? It looks bigger than the stock 1.5 litter tanks.

12. butre

butre Well-Known Member

entering your credit info into one site (ie. paypal) is much safer than giving it to a small site with potentially less than stellar security every single time you need to purchase something. Paypal spends millions of dollars a year on keeping your data safe.

13. bikejock

bikejock Member

The safest way to protect creat card info is to deliete it after a purchase. Most companies I'm sure do this. Hackers go after companies that leave credit card info on their computers. That's why places like target get hacked. As long as they don't keep that info in a computer after a purchase it should be safe. It's like shredding personal info on paper vs just throwing it in the trash.

14. KCvale

I like PayPal, been using them for over a decade with no issues both sending and receiving money as I don't keep squat on my PC or Server.

It costs you nothing to join or buy anything, the seller is the one that gets whacked ~7% depending on the amount.

As for the under rack tank that would be a good reserve tank if the petcock is above your carb. I have one here and my last mechanic had one on his bike and was a pain in the butt with poor flow, but as you mentioned, it beats pedaling ;-}

15. bikejock

bikejock Member

I like it! Found a vendor who had them (custommotoredbikes.com) but they were soled out of those 1 gallon tanks. Where would you recommend I should get one from?

16. KCvale

Richard Kreemer has a few I think, he is local and I got it from him.

I'll check, drop me an E-mail from web site to remind me.