Bike Doping? Motorized bike or not?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Bzura, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Bzura

Bzura Member

This video is awesome. The rider's explanation is that the surface was very slick, an it was extremely an extremely steep grade where he fell. I'm still scratching my head though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyqpDWl19v4

2. dirtwarrior

dirtwarrior Member

I don't think so

3. butre

butre Well-Known Member

not motorized at all. the only way to completely hide a motor is to put it in the seat tube and have it assist the pedals and that's just not worth doing

4. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

might be something in the frame driving magnets in the wheel rim

5. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

then wheres the battery? oh. my bad, its a "perpetual motion machine".

add in the weight of any "hidden devices" and youre putting yourself at a disadvantage even with the assistance!

6. crassius

I rebuild my own laptop batts, so I'm sure I could stack a bunch inside various frame tubes.

7. butre

butre Well-Known Member

weight is still a problem and that battery would never last an entire race. huge disadvantage

8. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

speed control? transfer of battery power to motor, ie...wires?

heat sinks? all done by remote control i guess. induction possibly. or maybe the guys secretly a telekinetic, like uri geller :jester:

need pretty decent batteries to get more than a few km at a decent, raceworthy speed.

i thought they had scrutineers in racing...even plain old bmx racing at the local track would fob you off for axles that stuck out more than 1/4" past the nuts. this is apparently international, not that i give a fig about spandex and lycra riders.

9. crassius

needs none of that - just one 'go like hell' button for use just once when a big kick is needed - seems just a solid minute of an extra 3 mph could easily demoralize an opponent for the whole rest of the race

10. butre

butre Well-Known Member

weight is still a problem

11. crassius

skip breakfast

12. butre

butre Well-Known Member

then your bike is still heavy and your body is low on energy.

13. crassius

some folks are highland Scots who don't die from not eating for a few hours

14. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Big difference between the previously posted video and this attempt at a recreation of the event.
    I'm calling it a power assisted bicycle, because the rear part of the bike accelerates uphill as it travels in an arc around the handlebars which appear to remain in a fixed position on the ground.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015