Bike frame as a fuel tank, has anyone tried this?

wicked

both beach cruzin and i think it's a wicked bike...i can see an engine there :) :D

Felt makes the best looking production bikes IMO.

The head tube and probable the seat tube will also have holes in them for the release of gas in the welding proccess. I suppose it would be possible but it might turn into a huge pain in the rear. If you do it to a Felt, I think it should be done to their Vintage Iron 400 Cross version. It's a replica of the early 70's Husqvarna motocrosser...it even has a "gas cap" in the tank area.

http://www.feltracing.com/products/picture.asp?name=vintage400.jpg

Dan

Gee, that's an awesome looking bike....and I like the idea of using the top frame member as a fuel tank. Too bad that it's not sealed against the other frame members. Hey...you could just fill the entire frame full of gas and what doesn't flow to the carb can just stay there....oh yeah, you might wanna stick a cork in the top of the seat post..Honestly, I'm only kidding about this idea.

Thanks for the imput, I think I might still try doing it

Where there is a will, there is a way or, so the saying goes. It might take a while but I think I will give it a try. I will keep you posted on my progress (that is, if there is any).

Keith

Go for the integrated tank!

Dude!

I have laid awake nights thinking this exact thing with this exact same bike! The MP is sweet! The local Harley dealer here has one in the showroom already motorized, with a price tag of only $2500.00(no s**t).

Not all Harley riders are like this, but you know some yuppie sucker is going to pay it when he could get the $500.00 bike and $200.00 motor himself.

Anyway, I have sealed an old motorcycle gas tank with fiberglass resin, and it worked great- just poured it in and sloshed it around while it hardened. That's the technique I'd use on the tank/frame of a felt bike.

Stand the bike on its nose and let the resin harden at the front of the tank, then on the tail to seal the rear. Wait until the resin is thick before you pour it in so it doesn't leak into where you don't want it to go.

The bike at the Harley dealer uses an antique cylinder-shaped oil tank behind the sink for a gas tank, and it looks sweet, by the way.

That tank has PLENTY of capacity!

Do it! Keep us posted.

Sherm

I appreciate your enthusiasm

So BigSherm, you have been thinking of this same bike, that's cool. I would really like to do Felt's 1903 model, but the frame is aluminum and it seemed that it would be more difficult plus the MP frame is billed as their strongest. I am currently exploring all the options before launching on the project from using epoxy, to cutting out the tank like frame and sealing it with metal and reinstalling. Lot's of head scratching and looking at all the options first. That bike at the Harley dealer, it would be neat to see some photos of it if possible. Any chance of that?

Ride On,

ItsKeith

itskeith said:
iRide Customs said:
The biggest problem I could think of would be capacity.

Dan

Hey Dan,

from the looks of this bike, it appears that it would hold a pretty good volume. Take a look.

2101_mp_bike_3.jpg

That model bike is for sale in my local bike shop, I love it.

That is an interesting bike but I'd have to the P to a B with maybe a small .com (MB.com)

just for kicks said:
That is an interesting bike but I'd have to the P to a B with maybe a small .com (MB.com)

hahaha...cute

I dig the MP bike...hope the tank works out. Maybe a small tank inside the fake tank?

Re: I appreciate your enthusiasm

itskeith said:
... I would really like to do Felt's 1903 model, but the frame is aluminum and it seemed that it would be more difficult plus the MP frame is billed as their strongest...

I think the MP is also made of aluminum but I am not 100% sure. The '07 model may be steel.

Dan

Back