Bike has been sitting outside under a porch all winter.What to check for?

B

Bigfoot

Wondering what possible common probs could occur in the spring when I get it running again.It's a Dax 65cc.

Didn't "winterize" it- kinda forgot I guess.
Had very month old gas in tank- I drained it yesterday.

So far (last yr) it ran, & held up very, very well. I've had it very close to seazing (engine too dirty). I've ran it on severely rough roads, & it's been amazingly tough.

I'm now wondering if it's going to run again after being outside all winter.:whistle:

Currently cleaning engine (really grungy! no wonder it was heating up so fast!)

may as well just see if it fires up

seen many many engines sit outside for years -- then fire back up without doing much
if it doesn't start up then it's to the usual
check for spark -- pour a teaspoon of gas into spark hole

the THING should come back to life

may as well just see if it fires up

seen many many engines sit outside for years -- then fire back up without doing much
if it doesn't start up then it's to the usual
check for spark -- pour a teaspoon of gas into spark hole

the THING should come back to life

Do what MM suggested and if still no go pull the carb and clean the gunk out of the passages and bowl...POPS

Where you live is a factor. Here I would check under the seat and rack for scorpions, black widows and tarantulas. Of course I do that when it sits in the shop too.

didn't even think about that -- protect the THING !!!

I would check under the seat and rack for scorpions, black widows and tarantulas

didn't even think about that

tarantulas are suppose to be just like a bee sting ??

but -- one would not want a scorpion or black widow
close to the main THING

protect that THING !!!

The first thing I thought of was a brown recluse. You probably will notice a black widow cause there will be a web. Just what you would need is a brown recluse hiding under your seat come wandering out

Had a neighbor out here in AZ, was snoozing on his chaise lounger in the sun. There happened to be a black widow egg case under the chair, which had hatched - he ended up with about 40 or 50 'micro-bites.' At first, he thought it was some sort of rash, but he soon developed breathing problems & was rushed to the ER.

Only had one 'critter' incident personally - my daughter was on the receiving end of a bark scorpion sting last year. (it crawled up under the blankets & she got it on the middle toe. Ouch. Those things can hurt for weeks.) We've found scorpions inside several other times...

My work is at the edge of the desert. The rattlesnakes are coming out right now - we found three yesterday. And, later in the summer, when the eggs start hatching, those little rattlers can slip in under doors - last summer, one of the ladies sat down at her desk, and a baby rattler bit her foot!

(close-up photo of a moron, below...)

Attachments

• BabyRattler.jpg
    BabyRattler.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Back