Bike not running (clutch problem)???

Discussion in 'Frame Mounted Engines' started by haoleboy, Feb 11, 2012.

1. haoleboy

haoleboy New Member

Well, here goes.....
    I have a Diamondback Beach Cruiser, with a RAW (discontinued) motor. It has been running fine until last week. I have had this motor for a year. The clutch started slipping, and in riding, the gears started to sound like they were not meshing. On the way home from a friends house I made a stop and the clutch froze. I could not engage it at all. I had to push the bike all the way home, and trying to keep the back tire off the ground at the same time. (Had to replace the tire and tube). I finally was able to free the clutch, but not being able to replace the clutch with a new one that I have purchased because I don't have the drive removal tool. It sounds like that gears are not working like they are supposed to. Right now, I can push the bike with the clutch out, and cannot even get the bike started because I don't have any resistance (like a clutch engagement).
    Have I broken something inside that I can't see?
    Will I have to rebuild the motor?
    Do I have to junk this one?

Thank you for your help!
    Dave:icon_cry:

2. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

Remove the clutch cover plate and inspect the gears.
    With the clutch cover off work the clutch handle and watch to see if the pressure plate moves out and back in.
    Inspect the bearings in the clutch housing. 57 of them.
    Remove chain and spark plug and turn nut on the magneto shaft to ensure the crankshaft will turn.
    Depending on what is wrong, we can go from there.

By the way I have gear removal tools that I loan out, just as if you went to Auto Zone or Advance.

3. haoleboy

haoleboy New Member

Clutch problem

Thank you very much for your reply.
    It looks like I need to run to my hardware store to get the drive sprocket removal tool and pull the clutch. I'll re-post after I make the count and your other recommendations
    Thanks again.

4. haoleboy

haoleboy New Member

Clutch

Okay Al;
    Autozone nor NAPA has the tool. It looks like I can get it at BikeBerry.com, for a little cost. The clutch plate does move in and out, so here I go removing the clutch... I'll get back to after I do the tests you suggested.
    Thank you.

5. Al.Fisherman

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  6. haoleboy

haoleboy New Member

Clutch

Hi Al;
    The screw tool arrived yesterday, the threads stripped in less than an hour, still have not got the clutch off yet. I am planning to get one from BB and hope that remover is in better shape. It looks like there may be a trick to using this type of tool. After a while with fiddling the clutch and adjustments, I took it out for a ride, and the clutch is still slipping. Got it home and going to do just a little more adjusting. Adjusted the chain, and it locked up tighter than a drum. Slackened the train, and still locked. Took out the spark plug, and it is free, but still not totally free. It still had resistance. I think there is something wrong somewhere........
    Thank you for reading this.
    Dave

7. Al.Fisherman

I posted this somewhere else....

8. haoleboy

haoleboy New Member

Clutch problem

Al;
    Thank you for your reply.
    Yes the tool must be clean and free of debris, and the threads must be sharp. I observe it this way......If I take the tool all the way to the end (bottoming out) and screw in the the center bolt of this [ZTEAK_DRIVESPROCKET] and proceed to draw out the clutch, is it not working against each other? Would I not want to screw in the tool almost to the clutch plate, screw in the bolt, until it stops, back off the tool a little, screw in the bolt, and keep repeating the process until the clutch is removed? Or am I off base?

And while I think of it, when I installed this motor last year, I did not see any clutch actuator ball bearing or bucking bar in the kit. I went to Ace Hardware and bought a steel shaft for the operation of the clutch. My question is, does the RAW motor have such a ball bearing?

Thank you so much for your help.
    Dave

9. Al.Fisherman

Others may do it differently, but I've found this the best, and since I haven't stripped threads it speaks for itself. But there are other ways, I'm sure someone will attest.
    Hope this answers any questions you had.
    Ron

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  10. haoleboy

haoleboy New Member

Clutch problem

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation. Very well indeed. I shall follow it to the letter. I have also ordered a new pin and ball bearing, and that should do the job. I really suspect that there is something wrong inside somewhere. Something is locking it I hope to get the parts by the end of the week. I ordered them yesterday, called BB this morning to add the two items, and it out for shipping already........Can't beat that for service.

Thank you again, Al.

Dave

11. wally

wally Member

12. Al.Fisherman

I failed to mention, if the gear isn't coming off, a sharp blow to the center bolt (while under pressure) will help in removing the gear. You may need to repeat the process a few times. Tighten, hammer blow, tighten, hammer blow. If after a blow with the hammer and you tighten the center bolt.. If it tightens more, then the gear is on its way off.

13. haoleboy

haoleboy New Member

Clutch problem

Hello all; you too Al.....
    Clutch is finally replaced. All I need to do some final adjustment. It has not locked up, and working well. I can give you a final report at the end of the week after everything is settled in.
    Thank you Al for your detailed instruction!

Dave