Bike not starting, Need help

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Jonathan, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Jonathan

Jonathan New Member

I set up my 2 strokes motorized bike, but I'm having a problem in starting it. The spark plug is giving out sparks, but when I ease off the clutch it hard to peddle. I don't know if its compression, but when I pull out the spark plug and peddle, it makes sounds like its going to start but with the spark plug inside its harder to peddle and does not start. Any suggestions?

2. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

It sounds as though you're not using the right starting procedure.

You do not want to pedal slowly and ease the clutch lever out. ("Easing the clutch lever out" equals 'engaging the clutch'. This is the 'proper' term. And that can be useful when discussing issues)

You want to pedal the bike up to, say, six to ten miles per hour with the clutch disengaged and then engage the clutch quickly. Simply let go of the clutch lever. It'll be the momentum of both you and the bike that turns that engine over and gets it to fire up.

If you're pedaling slowly and engaging the clutch slowly you simply won't have enough force to compress the fuel/air mixture.

I hope I've understood your trouble correctly. If not, then it would seem that you have spark but still 'no run'. If that's the case, then you need to look into the possibility that no fuel is getting to the carburetor or that no fuel/air mix is getting from the carburetor into the the engine.

Good luck and come back with more info about just what that bike is doing or not doing. That'll help you get more answers and it'll help you track down the trouble and start riding.

I'm about to change the magneto on my bike. Wish me luck. Though it's actually not all that difficult a job. But every bit of luck helps.

3. Jonathan

Jonathan New Member

Thanks so much, I'll try that.

4. Levi98

Levi98 Guest

My engine only runs when pedaling. Can anyone help.

5. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

sounds like a fuel problem, but you should go thru the whole 'no start' checklist anyway

6. Levi98

Levi98 Guest

7. butre

butre Well-Known Member

actually running or just turning over? could be compression issue

8. Levi98

Levi98 Guest

turning over.

9. Levi98

Levi98 Guest

sorry for the late reply been working hard for a long time.

10. MacZulu

MacZulu Member

does the clutch slip at all? hold the bike up and move the pedals to see if you are slipping, maybe too much compression. try loosen sparkplug and start. if that works it probably is a compression issue, using a thicker or second gasket at the jug base will help with that.

11. crassius

no amount of compression will stop any bike I've seen if clutch is working right

12. Jonathan

Jonathan New Member

I try the solution you recommended but the bike is still not starting. I pedal without the clutch for more than 20 minutes and did the method but still not started. its giving sounds like its going to start but it doesn't. I even unplug the kill switch and try it but it still won't start. When I pedal it seem like it's struggling to start and the engine is warm but still nothing. I'm also experiencing that the throttle is sticking.

mrbg likes this.
  13. mrbg

mrbg Member

For what it's worth I have 2 new "balanced motor's" and they come with a higher compression and tight when new. I had to pedal hard and pull back on handlebars like trying pull wheelie to get all my weight on the rear wheel, in the morning when it's cold it's a bear. I've run a couple of tanks thru them so its not too bad once they've been started they fire up ok and one them had a little oil and around the plug, I put new washer on the plug and its good now.

14. mrbg

mrbg Member

15. MacZulu

MacZulu Member

is your magnet in backwards? if your timing is out it won't run. most have the notch positioned at 01:00, my zoombicycle engine had a 12:15 one.

16. crassius

throttle sticking suggests something wrong with the carb - slide in wrong or cable binding so that carb does not close enough to start - one should hear a slight click when slide hits bottom

Purple Haze likes this.