Bike Trailer

Sounds good. I was thinking a double metal sleeve - the inner one could slide onto the nut, then the outer one could pivot around it.
Still, rubber sounds easier.

hitch idea

how about if i start with the back-half of an old "western auto" cruiser?
Mvc-027f.jpg

i had guessed it would be best to have my mounting well-above the loads' COG, which is actually quite low...

but i can easily utilize this exisiting gap on the axle:
View attachment 25076
a brass-pipe "bushing" over the nut, then a yak-style "drop & lock" mount. opinions?

the stays will get an xtra cross-bracing to address flex, and i can shorten the trailer up a lot if a vertical steer-tube doesn't affect tracking.

there is in fact a nice electric moped kit that would work without the shockster, but the suspension is the only reason i'm willing to try and drag the genset with me. i'm going to drop down a drive-gear on the GEBE and use a smaller chain-ring for pedaling...after all, it's not how fast but how far, eh?

thanks again buddy :cool:

Oh, I have to remind you of my degree MRA.....Masters of Redneck Engineering. And the minor...BGBG as in by guess and by god. What I meant was it seems to work better if you attach it within an inch or two of the axle. If you want to attach it to your axle you can get what they call Bobnutz. They are like all thread connectors with groove machines in them for the trailer to attach to. What I was saying is not to do what I tried one time....I made a hitch that attached to an extension that went around the back of the wheel like the hitch on my Goldwing. It worked fine until I loaded the trailer up at Costco. The 2 cases of Spaghettios were OK but when I strapped the 36 pak of Northern 3 ply bathroom tissue (with lotion) on top the front wheel came off the ground and the whole thing fell over. Spaghettios rolling everywhere.

By the way, I am jealous of that suspension. That would be even better than the swingarm type if I am seeing it right.....no slop in the bushing when things wear a little, and I accelerate hard. Could even be adapted to the front fork on a cruiser and add brakes at the same time.......

V-tec, just curious how your bike handles the trailer with a load. Some of my rigs are too close to mats (motor assisted trucks) If the belt holds up to towing heavy loads, that would say a lot for that configuration.

We have a special needs home close by. On nicer days there is a man on a bike towing a trailer with his wife/girlfriend in it. He is probably 120 pounds, and she is a .......large lady. I always saw it as the perfect example of true love and dedication. :D

ok, denny...it's all clear now...i think the crucial factor is to NOT be behind the axle...and since my upper mounting points are not, i'm going to try them first as easiest.

thanks again.

2-wheel trailers are so available & affordable...i'm only hesitant to try one because every day i'll be on "new" roads with unknown traffic conditions, and i don't wanna be any wider than i have to be...if this 1-wheel experiment don't work out, i'll just backpack like i'd originally planned.

here's my rough hitch so far:
Mvc-031f.jpg

correction: the frame is (was) a "western flyer" sold at "western auto" made by "amf"

Last edited:
V-tec, just curious how your bike handles the trailer with a load. Some of my rigs are too close to mats (motor assisted trucks) If the belt holds up to towing heavy loads, that would say a lot for that configuration.

We have a special needs home close by. On nicer days there is a man on a bike towing a trailer with his wife/girlfriend in it. He is probably 120 pounds, and she is a .......large lady. I always saw it as the perfect example of true love and dedication. :D

haven't had the chance to carry a heavy load yet.... handles fine w/out one. If you ride in an area tight on space I wouldn't recommend it. Its honestly feels just like pulling a trailer with a truck. Its funny, because you cant just pick your bike up and turn it around.... you have to back it up like a truck and trailer.

parking & tight-spots.

and that's another thing has me thinking twice...right now the bike is rigged for easy handling and parking...but eleven feet?! that could make easy ins' & outs' not so easy at all...this is a neat idea but i think it may be crazy nonetheless.

i'll be getting some good trailer input this weekend, after that i'll know for sure. i'll prolly still do it for something to do, but i don't think i see myself bringing it with me.

ok, denny...it's all clear now...i think the crucial factor is to NOT be behind the axle...and since my upper mounting points are not, i'm going to try them first as easiest.

thanks again.

2-wheel trailers are so available & affordable...i'm only hesitant to try one because every day i'll be on "new" roads with unknown traffic conditions, and i don't wanna be any wider than i have to be...if this 1-wheel experiment don't work out, i'll just backpack like i'd originally planned.

here's my rough hitch so far:
View attachment 25086

correction: the frame is (was) a "western flyer" sold at "western auto" made by "amf"

There ya go. Even heightwise you are in the ballpark of where some of mine were. Should work.

Guess I didn't quite understand what you were using for your hitch at first. Pretty ingenious. Never thought of doing that. Your pivot will be indestructable too. Keeping the play down in the pivot is important for stability.....at least in pusher mode. Got to say, the Yak connecting hardware is pretty ingenious too, pretty much foolproof as long as you get the little pins all the way into the slots.

Eleven feet does add to your footprint, but like anything else, it is a matter of getting used to it. Kind of like pulling a boat behind a car I guess. I never found it to be a severe problem. The narrowness and having a single wheel track is why I like the single wheel trailers I guess. I was constantly hooking my two wheel trailers on sign poles, mail boxes etc. If the trailer isn't much wider than your handle bars it becomes kind of a natural thing.

Until now, all my trailers were pushers, so weight was almost an asset. With motor assist, it still isn't a problem, but heavily loaded it is definitely noticeable up hills......obviously. :D The extra length doesn't bother much once you allow for the extra second or two for your trailer to clear cross traffic. Other than that, it just kind of quietly follows you around like a well behaved puppy.

Keep us posted.....gotta see this one develop. Dang, I like that suspension.

Back