Bike won't start

James L

Local time
11:01 AM
Hello,

Ok so at first i had a used Schwinn frame that gave me trouble time and time again. The back wheel would come off, and the list is just too long lol. I finally decided enough was enough and bought a Huffy Nel Lusso.
I decided i'll just take the motor i have off the Schwinn and put it on my new bike which is awesome.

I did all this last night and took it for a short ride maybe a mile or so. On the way back i heard noises so i got home quickly. That problem was the rear mount bolt came out and the front mount the bolt broke off almost flush. I solved the broken bolt issue by using a tiny screwdriver and a hammer. I used the screwdriver to bite into a jagged edge that was barely sticking out and turned it out. Problem solved or so i thought.

So after getting everything back on tonight i decided to go for a test ride. No luck :( It was raining today lightly and i did only have a large shed to work in that's rather full of things. So i took the motor off and set it on the deck once it quit raining. I thought no harm no foul in that. Once i got everything back together i tried my hardest to get it started and no go. It has compression as i can hear and feel it wanting to turn over but it doesn't start. I tried starting it for a good 30 minutes and no luck. Edit i did leave the frame etc in the very light rain for a bit. I have read maybe a kill switch issue from it getting wet.

I also not thinking disconnected the wires without looking to see how they were connected. All i know now is i have a blue & a black motor coming from the magneto, and two wires coming from the kill switch. The guy who built the first bike added a black and a white wire on the kill switch wires.

I have spent so much $ and am at a loss now as i thought oh i can ride it to work now as it's getting nicer outside. I'm overly distraught and irritated as i work 60 + hours a week and this bike was my release from everything as i live in the middle of nowhere and it has been a blast riding here and there.

Thanks in advance.

James

root-android-easy.com

Every motor i have had has got warter in the magnito cover and if the coil in there gets wet it's gone I would say that's happened

Maybe your cdi or the spark plug then you got fuel things list goes on
I have checked that it's getting fuel. I haven't checked the spark plug yet as it's dark out now. The cdi did get wet from the rain today. As well as the kill switch.
The motor was taken off. I do have silicone on the rubber boot that goes into the motor where the magneto is.

The guy who built the first bike has had spare parts so i'm going to call him in the morning although he is probably tired of hearing from me by now lol.

I don't think the cdi can be hurt by warter the inside is covered in plastic risen but iam shor thay play up when they feel like it good luck

had one yesterday with no start - guy came in, I checked spark (OK), checked plug and it was dry - few drops of fuel in plug hole & it tried to start - checked flow to carb and was good, so hit tickler hard and it barely tried to start once

took off carb & looked thru main jet - no daylight - took jet out and pulled big chunk of rubber out of it - put all back & it ran fine (total time about 20 min)

seems he took fuel filter off once, then put it back on upside down dumping the caught crap down into carb

see if you have both spark & wet plug

I got it started!!! What i was told by the guy who built the first bike was i could just hook the wires up to any wire and it didn't matter, so i did just that. Wrong move.... I hooked blue to blue & black to black and it started right up.

The only issue i have now is it surges hard. The last bike i had that did that was due to loose motor mounts so i'm going to check that first then, just to be sure im going to clean the carburetor.

Thanks to everyone for the help!!!

20160501_124314.jpg new bike just haven't moved the sprocket etc. To the new bike yet otherwise the tires would match lol.

I think i figured out the surging. Carburetor is loose at the intake. Gotta get a new screw to hold it tight. I stripped the screw head by messing with it too much

had one yesterday with no start - guy came in, I checked spark (OK), checked plug and it was dry - few drops of fuel in plug hole & it tried to start - checked flow to carb and was good, so hit tickler hard and it barely tried to start once

took off carb & looked thru main jet - no daylight - took jet out and pulled big chunk of rubber out of it - put all back & it ran fine (total time about 20 min)

seems he took fuel filter off once, then put it back on upside down dumping the caught crap down into carb

see if you have both spark & wet plug
OK another problem ughh.

Took it for a real run, got about a mile and the front motor mount rod busted again. I bought some threaded rod from Ace Hardware.... I can remove the broken off piece. My only thing is i don't want to have to order the bolts. Does anyone know the correct size and what to get?

Back