Bike work stands

Discussion in 'Spare Parts & Tools' started by tirebiter, Jan 6, 2007.

1. tirebiter

tirebiter Guest

What do you guys use to work on your bikes? I've seen some expensive repair stands but I'm thinking there must be a cheaper way to hold the bike while I'm working on it. Any ideas?

2. etheric

etheric Guest

I've used some nylon rope with a figure 8 on a byte (just a loop in the middle) thrown over a rafter, one end tied off to another rafter, the other end somewhere else to help eliminate swing a bit. Then I just hang the saddle nose inside. It has a built in adjustable height too!
    I just came across this last night, I haven't looked very far into the page, but it may help with ideas.
  3. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

I hang mine from the ceiling in my garage with tie-down straps.

I have also made these cheesy, bar clamp bike stands.
    it's bar clamps with 3/4 pipe nipples of various lengths. with elbows, etc.
    sorry the pics kinda
  4. psuggmog

psuggmog Guest

I use an old european two bike capacity shop stand. It has a 2" diameter vertical steel post, with a cast iron base. There are two movable parts trays and a heavy crossbar with a rotatable camlock bike holder at each end. I also have a blackburn bench mount bike repair stand which I am thinking about mounting on a piece of 2inch square steel stock that would fit in a standard truck receiver hitch. This would give me a portable stand that could be use away from home.
  5. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

My bike shop supplier says he can sell this one for $125 plus shipping (from Decatur, AL). My guess on the weight is 15 pounds.....