Bike wreck

4doora

So today I decided to take by bike to work.
Everything is going great, until I try to proceed through the intersection of rt 111 and 3A (same place I broke down a few weeks ago).
My chain breaks and my engine stalls. I hear the rattling, wondering what it is while i'm turning through the intersection i look over my shoulder. Stupid mistake. When I look back in front of me I find myself way too close to the curb, and have no choice but to brace for impact.
I hit the curb, and fall off my bike sideways.
Not surprising, no one in the busy intersection was concerned with my accident, a cop even cruised right by as i was brushing off.
Took a mean chunk of skin off my arm, and now I have a limp.
My bike suffered some damage also, the right of the crank is totally bent in (see pics).

So with a bent crank, I couldn't even pedal to work (not that i would anyways in this heat)
I call up work and my manager is able to pick me and my bike up in his truck.
And I work at a nursing home, so there were plenty of nurses that could help me out.

I fixed my chain, turns out my master link either broker or just fell off. I got the bike started with a push start, but I still need to bend my crank back.

Crashing sucks

Attachments

• STA71185 (Medium).JPG
    STA71185 (Medium).JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 484
  • STA71186 (Medium).JPG
    STA71186 (Medium).JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 380
Last edited by a moderator:
Dang.

It's hard not to look with a horrific noise down below; that chain might lock your wheel up or conversely hot motor parts might be dangling by your legs.

Mechanical failures are already not that much fun and when in traffic, less so.

Glad you got off with a little road rash - from the looks of that bent crank, it was a pretty stiff impact.

I know the exact intersection you're talking about. It's a pretty bad chokepoint so good thing you didn't get run over or anything. I've consistently heard bad things about happytime master links so I'm pretty glad I broke the retaining pin on mine when I was first installing. I only had a chain fail once and I knew it was going to since I broke and spliced it so many times, I had the upgrade chain ready at hand anyhow.
Hope you're able to take that crank off and bend it back into shape easily. I'm still glad the cops in your area haven't given you any problems about the bike. Ride on!

Glad you're not hurt too bad. Sounds like pride took the worse hit...good to hear that nobody stopped to make sure you're not dying...I am filled with pride for our people these days, especially the police. Maybe next time, you should spill "crack" all over the place when you fall, or leave your semi-automatic gun on the sidewalk -- then they might at least stop to assist you. (he-he!)

Last edited:
Mark, I understand the humor in what you said. But please remember this is a family forum. I can hear it now. Mom, why do guys have bent cranks.

Back