Bikeberry Idler/Tensioner Installation

Discussion in 'Transmission / Drivetrain' started by Randall, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Randall

Randall Member

Does anyone know how to install this idler/tensioner? The first time I installed it, the clutch wouldn't engage. Don't know what I am doing wrong. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Hello Moto!

Hello Moto! Active Member

I'm pretty sure the one you have mounts on the inside of the drive sprocket cover where you clutch lever is. The one I use is the one I pictured below. This one mounts over the plate and works incredibly well.

chain tensioner.jpg

3. Hello Moto!

Hello Moto! Active Member

Heres a picture of how yours is installed. hope this helps. its all i could find.

PirateCycles_ChainTensioner-2.jpg

4. Randall

Randall Member

Thanks .... yeah I was able to install it correctly from a bikeberry call. I had to loosen the flower nut on the clutch to release some of the tension. Works great now. Had to get a little stiffer spring as the one that came with it was a bit weak.

Cheers!

5. DanTheDIYGuy

DanTheDIYGuy Member

I made my own spring tensioners. Only cost about $10, and was very fun :)

6. Randall

Randall Member

NICE!

7. skyash

skyash Active Member

I just used the stock one and a spring for $2 so much better the a non movein one

Attached Files:

8. Randall

Randall Member

Nice. I like the way you are using the spring.

9. bakaneko

bakaneko Active Member

Yeah, I like the way you are doing this too, skyash. I got the spring but don't have a welder so will be doing an alternative with clamps. Of course better with welding but... Going to work on it tomorrow; will post pics of doing it without welding. Good work.

10. skyash

skyash Active Member

Thanks yeah I was going to use a hose clamp from spring to frame. If the spring was pushing not pulling I would have had it from the bottom bolt on the tensioner mount pushing the pully bolt up. I slotted the slot longer to it moves so much I can have a 44t to 36 t with out touching enything. I would like both sprockets on at the same time with a derailer so 2 speed. I just got to try it some time

11. bakaneko

bakaneko Active Member

Hmm, I tried it and it seems to work but the chain tension is very high. I would say there is only about 1/2 - 1 inch of play in the chain. I guess that is oke but maybe I am doing something wrong. I have it hooked on the pad brake atm.

Attached Files:

12. skyash

skyash Active Member

Your spring looks tight. My one has next to no pressure on it till the chain hit its tight spot then the pully goes down back up and sits in the middle of the slot and because there is no bolt in the top mount hole the pully goes down more no bolt head to hit I got a big washer behind the pully and one on the other side. You might just need to play with it