Black plug

Discussion in 'Whizzer Motorized Bicycles' started by Whizzer 58, May 29, 2008.

1. Whizzer 58

Whizzer 58 Member

Hello,

I just got back from a 22 mile ride and i checked the new sparkplug and it's solid black with carbon and so is the exhaust..
    The bike runs fine, it has 286 miles on it now, should I change the needle setting or find a smaller main jet for the carb?....regards, Ed

2. Quenton Guenther

Quenton Guenther Motored Bikes Sponsor

Ed,

Which carburetor are you using?

Whizzer OuterBanks,
    Quenton

3. Whizzer 58

Whizzer 58 Member

Quenton,

all I see is a letter C on the outside vertical throttle shaft (if that's what it's called) no other numbers or letters on the outside of the carb.

Do I have to take the carb apart to see if there are numbers inside?..Ed

4. RdKryton

RdKryton Active Member

What year is the bike and is it still stock? That should help get things rolling.

Jim

5. Quenton Guenther

Hi Ed,
    Sounds like a WC-1 carburetor. Is the camshaft advanced one tooth [CCW]? Lower the needle one notch [raise clip], but be very careful not to lose the clip in the process. The main jet can also be reduced in size if the motor is mostly stock. You can reduce the lifter clearance a little to help the motor breathe a little better. Set the exhaust lifter to .009" and the intake to .007" on the WC-1 motor [1999 to 2004], and .008" exhaust , .006" intake on the NE or SE motor.
    Have fun,
    Quenton

6. Whizzer 58

Whizzer 58 Member

It's a stock WC-1 engine and it's a 2000.......

7. Whizzer 58

Whizzer 58 Member

Think I found the problem

I removed the air filter cover an found the filter saturated with oil, I mean loaded with oil..... I'm suprised this bike ran as good as it did with a compleatly clogged filter....Now what's the best way to fix this problem..thanks.....Ed

8. RdKryton

RdKryton Active Member

You need the upgraded Compression Release Cover Plate w/ Air Release Tube for NE5. I know you have a WC-1 but this will fit and solve your problem. The new cover has a large breather hose that vents to the air not the air cleaner. You will also need to plug the old vent tube. I included a picture with a yellow circle to show you what I mean. You may be able to get the cover w/ breather from Quenton or MotorbikeMike or Bill Green. If they don't have it the WhizzerUSA web site does. And make sure you are using 40wt oil only. No multi-grade stuff. Once you have about 500 miles the oil should be a little less likely come out the breather.
    Good luck

Jim

Attached Files:

9. RdKryton

RdKryton Active Member

Hi Ed
    Any luck with the oil problem?

Jim

10. Whizzer 58

Whizzer 58 Member

oil under control

I rerouted the oil vent tube under the gas tank and made it longer, I don't have an oil issue like before. I also installed a new air filter and thanks for asking......regards Ed.

11. Quenton Guenther

Hi Ed,
    If you are planning on staying with the WC-1 setup, the vent system used on the NE motor will be of little value. The NE cylinder has a hole between the lifters to vent the crankcases, whereas the WC-1 motor is sealed from the bottom of the motor. The later WC-1 motors used a series of tubes & filters to run the system through the lifter chamber to oil the lifters in the process, then back out the cover to the air. If you wish to save money instead of buying the updated cover I will explain how to. Remove the cover and install another fitting [same size as the original] on the opposise side of the cover [make sure it won't hit the carburetor], then run a hose from the side of the motor to the cover, then attach a hose from the other fitting to vent to the air [should be at least two feet long], and run down the frame tube towards the center stand.

Have fun,
    Quenton