Exhaust Blew the exhaust gasket today...

J

JosephGarcia

How exactly would I go about making a new one? I also heard you need this "gasket sealant" stuff, how much is it, I need to drive this bike by tomorrow.

Go to Napa, buy some gasket material. Trace the shape of the flange on the gasket material and using a small hobby knife, cut out the exahust hole and bolt holes. Using some permatex gakset maker and coat both sides of your new gasket. Install, torque nuts on exhaust studs, and ride.

I heard some of you make gaskets out of cardboard, the squished kind of carboard which has no holes, correct? I found a good 2 millimeter thick piece. which is a good deal stronger than the "cereal box gaskets" I heard of, if indeed they are made out of cereal box cardboard.

Would I just cut it out, install, and go? or use some of that sealer I hear about. Also, is this sealing stuff available at an autozone?

I wouldn't use cardboard for an exhaust gasket. Get some of the right stuff at the auto parts store and it will be better than the original.

BTW I don't use sealant on the exhaust gasket. Just isn't necessary.

Moth

a tip for both exhaust and intake: one reason the gasket blows is because the flange isn't exactly flat, put a flat file to it & clean it up before re-install, since doing this i haven't had to re-replace either gasket.

Ok, so I went, got the gasket material, and left quick. Cut it out, flattened the two metal halves, everythings nice and tight, no leaks.

One Problem.... I realized I got a "Water Outlet" gasket material.....

Can this be used? The engine runs. Or should I immediately buy some of the other kind. thick rubber stuff.

Yeah, I just purchased Permatex High-Temp RTV Silicone gasket maker stuff.

There goes my money for the rest of the parts to complete my lighting system.

The bottle says let it cure for 24 hours, but I NEED to drive my bike in about 5. Is it safe? I already drove it a mile with this thin papery gasket.

Go ahead and ride.

The worst you can do is "re-blow" the gasket. You'll just have to make another.

Don't buy rubber material.

Check the temp. limit on the RTV sealer, it may not be high enough for exhaust purposes, the gasses can reach 1000+ degrees F. It's not really needed for the exhaust gasket anyway.

Water outlet gasket material will probably work fine.....what's on these from the factory is pretty bad as gasket material goes.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

Well I rode it around all day at around 40+ MPH with no problems from the exhaust, engine ran pretty cool as well the whole time.

Also saw another motor biker with some honda four stroke mounted in his red beach cruiser, he could only do 20 tops, haha. He was amazed with my engine, as he never seen another one before. Thought that was pretty cool.

Back