blown gasket

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by daveet66, Apr 15, 2016.

1. daveet66

daveet66 Member

I recently stuffed my muffler tight with steel wool and it lost power how do I tell if I blew a gasket or something major?

2. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

take out the steel wool and try it again

45u and daveet66 like this.
  3. daveet66

daveet66 Member

Yeah it runs like sh*t 10 mph

4. daveet66

daveet66 Member

It won't shift before when I engaged throttle it would shift to higher speed stays at 20 mph

5. crassius

if it is the HT 2-stroke, first check to see if it is smoking a LOT & fuel dripping from exhaust, this would mean you're just full of fuel in motor & it will eventually clear out

otherwise, clean it well and look for oil seepage around the outside of motor to find a leaky gasket, then look inside for seepage at a crank seal

6. daveet66

daveet66 Member

Thanks man

7. daveet66

daveet66 Member

Crassius Where is the crank seal?

8. daveet66

daveet66 Member

OK I took them 4 bolts off there was oil on the gasket not a bunch what do I have to do to fix it?

9. crassius

if it doesn't look cracked or burned, just clean it and all surfaces there, turn it over and torque it down

daveet66 likes this.
  10. daveet66

daveet66 Member

It looks burned

11. crassius

then a new one should be used

12. daveet66

daveet66 Member

Not the part I took off but where yo

13. daveet66

daveet66 Member

Crassius took off head cleaned everything like ya said put new plug in fired right up no bogging at all seems to go faster! Thanks

14. crassius

glad to hear it

Timbone likes this.
  15. daveet66

daveet66 Member

I take that back ran fine yesterday I only rode it a mile I'm throwing in the towel back to no power 10 mph now it's dying on me ive had it for 3 years barely ride it because it's been unreliable from the get go it's a POS I've had to fix or replace something every other time I ride it!

16. crassius

check that you have enough flat washers under the acorn nut (or just break the tops off the nuts) as you may not be getting enough torque onto head

daveet66 likes this.
  17. 45u

45u Active Member

Exhaust pipes on a 2 cycle are very critical! The stock ones are just OK but when you put steel wool in it you plugged it up a lot so take it out.

Legwon likes this.
  18. daveet66

daveet66 Member

I did right after it happened

19. daveet66

daveet66 Member

There is very little oil on head gasket I tried to check where carb goes snapped bolt

20. 45u

45u Active Member

What I use to check for leaks for years is WD40. Spray it around the gaskets one at a time. If there is a leak it will either rev up or die.

daveet66 likes this.