BMP kit is destroyed

Discussion in 'Friction Drive' started by masterx1234, Jun 5, 2011.

1. masterx1234

masterx1234 Member

After three years of riding, my bmp kit has bitten the dust, sad to see the engine outlast the kit though, it happened yesterday 6/4/2011 while i was riding down the 4 lane traffic, all of a sudden a very loud noise comes from the clutch while i was going at full speed, all of a sudden it drags my tire down and i come to a sudden stop, the person behind me slammed on his brakes, i immediately pulled onto the sidewalk to get outta traffic, i tried to restart the engine but nothing would move, i pedaled the rest of the half mile back home, and took the engine off the kit to see what was going on, and to my surprise the clutch pads were all the way wore down to bare metal and were snapped of in two places (that explains the banging sound). the off balanced clutch has destroyed all the bearing on the bmp kit and several of those metal beads in the bearings had fallen out and now the clutch bell moves around when you hit it, i decided to scrap it at the recycling center and made about 35 bucks, im gonna go ahead and buy me a chain driven kit and im getting an auto chain tensioner off ebay. i will be posting pics of my new build on here

2. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

Sounds like it could have gotten dicey in traffic, glad you're okay.
    The unit probably could have been rebuilt but seems like you got your use out of it and want to try something different anyway.

3. ratdoggg

ratdoggg Member

I would love to have had the remains of the bmp stuff...Darn

4. rustycase

rustycase Banned

Three years of transport for china $'s ? That's great!

Major failure, IN traffic and no scrapes, cuts, scratches or ??? You are in a bonus round!

Hope you are able to get back in the saddle and on the road again quickly, a true White Knight in the battle against high fuel prices... :)
    rc

5. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

BMP was made in the USA.

6. rustycase

rustycase Banned

corrected

Perhaps you are right, Happy Valley.
    He did not specify origin of the engine component which caused the problem.
    Thanks for catching my oversight!

'and took the engine off the kit to see what was going on, and to my surprise the clutch pads were all the way wore down to bare metal and were snapped of in two places (that explains the banging sound). the off balanced clutch has destroyed all the bearing on the bmp kit'.

Still hope yah get running again before you spend the price of replacement parts on fuel make the drive in an auto!

rc

7. masterx1234

masterx1234 Member

the engine was a 52cc monsterscooter engine, yea i probably should of replaced the clutch shoes, kinda my fault, but im ok

8. greguk

greguk Member

Of course its your fault. I'm glad you remind me to check clutch shoes as those squeak from time to time. You need to pedal more - it's bicycle.

Honda GX35 if pretty fast so I can imagine beating on that metal-toy by 52cc 2stroke. 4HP?

You, Sir, need motorbike.

9. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

The channel is the key to that bmp kit, every thing else can be replaced relatively cheap.

10. drg007

drg007 New Member

3 years is exceptional for it.

11. happycheapskate

happycheapskate Active Member

BMP still "preparing to have kits available" last I saw, but I heard the new owners sell replacement parts for existing kits. If you got $35 for all your scrap, I can believe you, but no way you got $35 for the channel and engine unless the buyer was a DIY repair and wanted it to rebuild.

Hmm. I just checked their site, and there is no contact info. I have been holding out to buy a BMP kit, but I guess I will have to get a Staton or Dax if they don't come back online. Their BMP kits look really cool. I am sad. Glad you didn't get hurt. I hate when people tailgate bicycles! They should just go around, common sense, right?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011