board track build

Discussion in 'Antique Motorized Bicycles' started by dash, Dec 13, 2010.

1. dash

dash Member

hey guys this build is for a freind of mine im not going to replicate any thing just build a sweet boardtrack style bike. we start out with a huffy crabrook, 80 bucks at wally world this is cheaper to buy than to peice evry thing together and its nice to have all new stuff the only bad thing is the hubs are junk and you need to replace the rear hub to withstand the speed of the engine! i use .095 steel for the frame

Attached Files:

2. dash

dash Member

with all the bends done i jig up the frame to see how shes going to look, then it gets laid out on the table and cope all the miters at this point i tack everything together and put it back on the jig for alignment and here she is all ready to weld up

Attached Files:

3. Hoodoo

Hoodoo Member

I am curious how a vintage build can be done from an ordinary modern bike. A lot of the terms go over my head, like replacing the hubs, what do you mean by that? Can you provide some pics of what is done to the rear section of the bike including the wheels? My next build, if it happens might be a cheaper bike than the worksman and of course a modern frame comes to mind. Of course I like the heavier spokes of the worksman but maybe these are overkill.
    Also would be nice would be a cost analysis. With the Worksman at 350 you get a lot of usable items, I am wondering what the cost will be to get adequate hubs, etc.
    I am wondering if it might not be cheaper to build a frame from scratch now that I have a pattern frame done for my Choctaw?
    Al

4. dash

dash Member

now for the tank this part takes time. after making template cutting out the pattern you get this, then i brake the bends and tack 3 sides up then i put the fuel site gauge in and take a nap! more to come soon so stay tuned

Attached Files:

5. dash

dash Member

well the worksman bike would be the best to build from but me i don't have 350 but if i did i would order one in a heart beat the spokes on the bike are huge. the spokes on the huffy i get are 1 gauge smaller so i its bigger than a normal bike but smaller than the worksman as for the frame i basically use the rear triangle with the bb still attached also the head tube with the hubs i meant to say put hi speed bearings up front and replace the rear hub shimano makes a hub for 50 bucks you just have to lace it up or have a shop do it so the total cost would be 140 for me just enough left over to buy the grubee kit

Attached Files:

6. curtisfox

curtisfox Member

I love it! Going to be one awesome bike

7. dash

dash Member

here is a pic with the seat on and what the tank will look like on the bike

Attached Files:

8. dash

dash Member

got the motor mounts in place and the forks on starting to look like a bike!

Attached Files:

9. ibdennyak

ibdennyak Guest

That's impressive. You did just the reverse of when I built my stretch...used everything but the rear triangle. Course by now the only original thing is the fenders...wait, I stiffened them too. Anyway....nice job.

10. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

You make it look easy. What kind of welder are you using?

11. dash

dash Member

miller 180 with gas , dose the trick!

12. dash

dash Member

debos boardtracker almost done

here she is [​IMG]

13. Hoodoo

Hoodoo Member

Awesome

I am so jealous of those tanks. I am having to cover mine rather than have the real deal.

Al

14. curtisfox

curtisfox Member

Make one out of cardboard take it to a steel supply yard and have one made. Have 2 or 3 made and sell a couple to help pay for it cheeper by the numbers.....Curt

15. dash

dash Member

I didn't even.notice on your bike seems to look like the real deal. Tanks take a lot of time to do a lot of welding and a lot of grinding . I have 18 long hours in my tank if you ever want one pm me but like I said before your tank looks good

16. Hoodoo

Hoodoo Member

See Dash above.

17. Hoodoo

Hoodoo Member

Tanks

Well, a "real" tank would add significant eye appeal close up but like you say it is an investment of time and/or money. My bikes are just "go" bikes, not "go and show" bikes (I have deep respect for "go and show" bikes of course). Of course right now while I pine over your great tanks, I have my eyes on making a third bike with a completely different tank (wraps around the top bar) so I would like to put that 18 hours (or money) into it: a Harley 1910 Tribute bike maybe with a 8.5 hp engine (which I have access to for free). All that extra power on the low end is very tempting...and I can use a tank cover also on the design.

Although I can get the engine for free, once I throw in the necessary extras to make it work in this application it will be at least the cost of a grubee skyhawk so no savings there.

I am debating selling my Kingsbury special as it is now "obsolete". Any money I could get for it could be put on the Harley would be a lot more bang for my bucks...then again it would be great to have three and use the Kingsbury special as a "trainer" or loaner. Looks very good with small statured riders. It will carry bigger riders of course.

I intended to only have two bikes, but doggone it, these things are addictive and I kind of get attached to them...the Kingsbury Special was a trailblazer for meand it is hard to sell "old paint". I can trade it for a used worksman industrial bike to be the basis for the Harley.

I need all my bikes to be different for the purposes I use them. If I keep the Kingsbury, I will have three distinct designs and colors would be great at our airfairs and other active events.

I have some old WWI helmets, maybe I can divest myself from some of my old hobbies that don't mean much anymore. I need "American Pickers" to come go through all my eclectic stuff.

Al

18. dash

dash Member

worksman bikes are nice although i wouldn't trade your bike for one. well maybe, but it seems like you put a lot of time in your bike! i saw a worksman at my l.b.s today and was impressed with it! not so much the frame but the wheel set looked like they came of a motorcycle. i plan on using them on every build for now on ! this hobby is addictive i just picked up a roadmaster skyrider deluxe and plan on restoring it then selling it to start my next build. now two years ago i would have restored it and kept it forever and probably be buried with it. have fun with your build i look forward to the thread