board tracker

Discussion in 'Antique Motorized Bicycles' started by james65, Jan 19, 2011.

1. james65

james65 Member

Starting a board track build. It is using a rollfast frame and suspension. The tank is divided into two sections, main and reserve. Here are the first progress photos.

Attached Files:

2. professor

professor Active Member

Nice. what motor is going in there?

3. james65

james65 Member

It will be a standard 66cc. Of course modified to look more like the original long stroke engine.
    It will be a while before I get to the engine. There is also a 2cycle tecumseh sitting in the basement that looks like it could also be a canidate for this build.

Now that I have built a tank, the $200 others are selling for a custom tank sounds like a very reasonable price.
    However I have the time (retired) and am a DIY guy.

4. curtisfox

curtisfox Member

What a AWESOME start love the double loop in the frame
    I would use the Tecumesh. Go to motorbicycling.com and look upratrodboardtracker. under boardtracker and vintage motorized bicycles..........Curt

5. Hoodoo

Hoodoo Member

While I applaud the custom tanks and as they are not built in quantity the prices are not unreasonable if one could afford them (200 is new to my, I only saw 300 tanks), my tank including cover material cost about 40-50 bucks with minimal labor and while they don't make the bike marketable per se the bikes still get a lot of attention and are satisfying and I can put that money/effort into other aspects, maybe a second or third or.... There is absolutely no reason for a bike build not to happen because one doesn't have the tank building skills or the money to put into a 300 dollar tank....I had not seen any 300 dollar tanks.

To me the best reason to make your own tank is that you want it to be something unique or come close to an original appearance of a particular brand, both very good reasons, but even then, unless you want to build the bike for resale or take it to a bike show and impress everyone with how skilled you are (which requires knowledge and talent--more power to anyone that has it as I love yalls work-I don't for sure).

6. sideshowbob

sideshowbob Member

I hope you reuse that great original front springer fork. It would look great on this project.

7. james65

james65 Member

I am in total agreement with you. I bought the bike on ebay(it was local) with just that in mind. Picked the bike for $34. I can use the fenders and carrier on another project so that made it a good purchase.

Jim

8. james65

james65 Member

I am still considering it but I am going to put a somewhat original twist on the 66cc that might change your mind. So check back in about a month.

Jim

9. james65

james65 Member

progress continues PICTURES

I have been working on and off, seems like it will be ready for spring. This is not the motor or handle bars I will be using.

Befor and after pics.

Attached Files:

10. shell shock

shell shock Member

dude, i have to say, that looks beautiful! i too was thinking of creating a BTR in the near future, and you my friend, have given me all the motivation i could need. every nice work. and love the colour scheme. keep up the good work man!

11. james65

james65 Member

Still have to redo the motor

I still have to redo the motor to make it look vintage, but other than that I'm getting close.

Attached Files:

12. james65

james65 Member

new air cleaner

Copper Clinton air cleaner.

Attached Files:

13. shell shock

shell shock Member

that looks beautiful! man im envious.

james65 likes this.
  14. Drylakerunner85

Drylakerunner85 New Member

wow! very nice! deffienitily one of a kind! Love the copper gas lines! I had that in mind as well once I get my bike back from the shop. But wasnt thinking of joing it together with the proper fittings. I was just going to use rubber hose at the ends because i dont know exactly how to braze copper. I am intrested in knowing what type of fittings you used on the carb as well as any tips on brazing copper like materials and what not :eek: i was going to spray the copper with a solution and let it tarnish into a nice verdigris color since my whole bike theme is vintage zero style

james65 likes this.
  15. james65

james65 Member

The brass fitting in the standard carb was removed and reshaped to fit inside the copper tubing, soldered and replaced.
    fittings are just std. tubing fittings from Lowes. Where the fittings and fuel bowl enter the tank, there was steel welded then tapped. As with all MB's they are never finished just a work in progress. When I find a brass filter the plastic one will be replaced.
    You do not really have to braze the copper tubing. Soldering will do however you must have a hood mechanical joint(due to the vibrations) before soldering.

Attached Files:

16. Drylakerunner85

Drylakerunner85 New Member

thats awesome!!! I didnt know that solder would work on copper. ill probably use a small piece of rubber tubing right before it enters the carb to help with vibrations. Really like your setup, looks super vintage!

17. james65

james65 Member

Crankcase update

Got a little more work done on the crankcase. I am also working on extending the cyl cooling fins by about 4" to get a vintage look. However it is slow going now that the weather is rite for riding.

Attached Files:

18. shell shock

shell shock Member

you are a master craftsman! it is a shame that i cant ogle it in person!

19. rustycase

rustycase Banned

Nice work james,

I just had to laugh when I read your new assessmaent on the value of pre-fabricated tanks. Lotsa labor involved, or a very good setup in advance! Which means $'s !!!

What size tube are you using for the new framework?
    and what wall thickness?

Tnx
    rc

20. silverbear

silverbear New Member

What wonderful results from such humble beginnings. A possible solution for the fuel filter is to make one from copper pipe fittings. I used fine stainless steel wool for the filtration.
    SB

Attached Files: