bolt on electric starter

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by squirrel87, Mar 16, 2016.

1. squirrel87

squirrel87 New Member

Was wondering how much interest there would be in a bolt on electric starter for the ht chinese motor? I dont like the use a drill with a socket idea it bugs me that its not a 'neat" setup.
    I have a setup that im working on that works of a 12v battery and has a slim design to fit inbetween cranks.It bolts on where the pull starter goes. Still in r an d stages though. Any input or things people have tried would be helpful.

2. David Bogle

David Bogle Member

I've been thinking about the same concept and quite surprised that it's not already on the market, my thought was to place it on the clutch side and used the large gear like a flywheel. I like the 12 volt idea,I've added a 12 volt system to my bike in hopes of a future starter, I think a lot of people would be extremely interested as long as the price isn't outrageous. Please keep us updated with your progress, I will be on a mission to find a motor suitable.

3. james65

james65 Member

Sounds interesting, if it dosen't cost mor than the engine.

4. squirrel87

squirrel87 New Member

Shouldnt cost much to build. Maybe bout $80ish, need a 12v rechargeable battery, a motor with enough torque and rpm, and a pull starter to copy from. The hardest part is finding a motor with enough torque to initialy spin the motor. Then if the motor is high compression itll make it harder to spin. Im gonna make a housing that bolts on like the pull starter.

5. David Bogle

David Bogle Member

I was wondering if a starter for a pocket bike would work.

6. KCvale

KCvale Motorized Bicycle Vendor

Are you ever in for sticker shock.
    Add another ~$200+ to your $80 for something that would actually work.

A far better option I think is just get a hub electric drive for one of the wheels.
    Use the electric to move the bike so you can bump start it as usual.

You would still be packing about the same extra weight as a starter system, but you could use it when the 2-stroke won't run ;-}

chainmaker likes this.
  7. skyash

skyash Active Member

A while ago my motor man had pics of a new push bike motor with a electric start he never got them in and I don't see y a pocket bike one won't work on a 4 stroke bolts straight on.

8. David Bogle

David Bogle Member

I like the idea, but do you think a pocket bike starter would work as far as tork goes?

9. David Bogle

David Bogle Member

Why do you think it would cost around$300. Per unit?

10. skyash

skyash Active Member

I think a pocket bike one would work but how do you stick it on a 66cc. On the one the shop was meant to get it had a starter motor like a drill motor across the front engine mount might have spun the magnito or the gears on the left of the motor I don't remember but it looks like it was off the 125cc motor he sells. Long chrom starter motor think there on eBay to

11. bakaneko

bakaneko Active Member

KC does have a good point. If you get a electric bike wheel (guess it would be front wheel) and some cheap SLA batteries then it would serve two purposes: 1, starter and 2, safeguard in case the gas motor dies and we all experienced that at some point. The question is what is the minimum power (W) you need to do the job. I think 1000W is over kill but 500W might be too little or iffy. On eBay, a 750W conversion kits are going for about $160 and tack on some SLA batteries and you could get it the whole thing up and running for a bit over $200. The thing is that its gonna add some weight to the bike so you gotta balance the battery placement...

12. skyash

skyash Active Member

If it's just to start the motor get a electric scooter motor 200w 12v good for 15 kmh