Bought a 32 tooth sprocket

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

beejones

When i had a 44 tooth, the upper most that ive seen was about 30mph but more so in the upper 20's most of the time. I installed the new sprocket and it doesnt really seem faster. Maybe by a few but not really noticeable. I did notice the engine was quieter though but thats not the point in why i bought it. its a stock bike and i do sometimes take the exhaust cap off. what speeds am i suppose to be seeing?

Depends on how good your engine goes. I found 36t to be the best .32 teeth is like starting your car in 5th gear it might take all day to get up to revs but when it does it should be faster than first gear. And well for me I found it took 1 to 2 weeks of riding till my engine seemed happy with the sprocket size and I didn't have to pedal to take off .its going to be harder to take off and the Engine hasn't enough power to pull at hi speeds so when going it might just get stuck at a rev or speed and just won't go eny faster let's say 30mph . Now try tuning it expansion chamber spark plug gap high compression head now it might do 35 40mph depends on how good your engine goes it is nice on long rides not having the engine screaming the whole way. I think the best fix is a shift kit all the money and time to make it go like it's got gears .just shift kit it straight away from new .then a exhaust or spark plug won't seem so wasted on a one gear bike ....remember no 2 China girls are the same .lol

When you run a single speed you have to pick a range, fast off the line OR good top speed, you simply can't have both with a single speed direct drive.

I use a shift kit to change that, I get 0-40+mph with a 66cc from a dead stop in about ~8 seconds using the bikes 7 rear gears even with fat balloon tires!

FitoDone2R.jpg

As a side bonus to moving the drive to the right side is the left side is open for a disc brake which is handy because they haul ass!

FitoDone2L.jpg

As another bonus, you don't just have the ability for higher top speeds, it can pop wheelies and will climb any hill with speed and no pedaling ;-}

Last edited:
Ok, been pondering the thought of a two piece split rear sprocket for quick changing. Dirt roads and woods trails mostly, so 40 to 48 tooth sprockets. Any thoughts? Probably will end up switching to gears or doing another build with them. Reluctant as I haven`t had good luck with derailleurs. KC makes it tempting though.

Ok, been pondering the thought of a two piece split rear sprocket for quick changing. Dirt roads and woods trails mostly, so 40 to 48 tooth sprockets. Any thoughts? Probably will end up switching to gears or doing another build with them. Reluctant as I haven`t had good luck with derailleurs. KC makes it tempting though.
From 40 to 48 would take a tremendous amount of travel in the tensioner, not to mention alignment issues. You would be better off with the variation of gearing done at the right side of the jack shaft if you weren't looking for shift on the fly. 2 gears welded togeather, a fairly quick flip with popping the master, couple of allens, and reasonable tensioner adjustment. I think you will be happier with the internal hub. IMO derailluers suck.

Look up expandable gears on the Internet but a lot of work involved .a shift kit is the best thing so far .i got a 44t on a wheel and a 36t on another wheel I can put eny one on and my chain tensioner takes up the slack so it's a 10 second job .I have seen racing pushbikes with a spare wheel carrier on either side of the front forks but I haven't got that far yet .

Using a nuvinci, the only downfall is I'm restricted to "gears" or ratios within a certain limit to the size of the attached gear. I must lose top end rpm for lower end torque at an equal amount, either way.

I've seen good results with a good friend of mine. He has a freehub with a fine selection of 8 or 9 gears, using one of shimano's top line shifters and compatible duel trigger shifters.

The main issue we found was that, after fixing the constant axle bending issue, the chain was the litteral weakest link. I dug up some kmc files on their UK based marketing site, I picked them because they have a pretty good record on anything chains. Found out by their info that a special chain for multispeed high powered electric bikes exists.

Obviously the only difference between normal gas bikes and weird European electric bikes is that ours are cooler. Oh and they just use electricity as the power source.

After taking it and putting that chain on the bike with proper gearing and good compatible shifters and derailleurs everything was instantly cured.

I'm a good 220 now but it still tugs me along with enthusiasm, and up steep hills in 4th without bitching.

Did I forget to mention it rides on big puffy 4 inch tires... Actually the entire drivetrain feels incredibly responsive with hard gears. The nuvinci has a noticeable cushion when felt out but generally feels pretty responsive otherwise. It could be a placebo effect of having the ability to simply pick between the gears, making the steps between each gear feel smaller. The standard gear shifter actually climbs at a noticeable and feelable rate. Im just not used to it maybe.

Most annoying thing is the shifter uses 2 kinda stupidly long shifter cables and housing to be "proper". They get in the way and freeze up in cold weather.

Single speed is just so..
Outdated?

Would only consider expandable gears if I wanted to do a steampunk or very antique motored bike. Otherwise they are not practical or simply not cross compatible by any easy means to what we use on a single or even jackshaft application.

From 40 to 48 would take a tremendous amount of travel in the tensioner, not to mention alignment issues. You would be better off with the variation of gearing done at the right side of the jack shaft if you weren't looking for shift on the fly. 2 gears welded togeather, a fairly quick flip with popping the master, couple of allens, and reasonable tensioner adjustment. I think you will be happier with the internal hub. IMO derailluers suck.
Thanks, I think the 8 tooth difference would add about 4-5 inches in chain length? My chain tensioner is quite adjustable. I have an alignment solution in mind. Using a clam hub adapter I would sacrifice an old sprocket cut down to bolt varying new two piece sprockets to it. If it works I should only have to change 4-6 bolts each time to switch up riding styles. Are the internal hubs reliable?...so many conflicting opinions. The 12 gauge spokes are a must for off road, maybe hard to source...especially in Canada.

Attachments

• homemade chain tensioner.jpg
    homemade chain tensioner.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 398
Thanks, I think the 8 tooth difference would add about 4-5 inches in chain length? My chain tensioner is quite adjustable. I have an alignment solution in mind. Using a clam hub adapter I would sacrifice an old sprocket cut down to bolt varying new two piece sprockets to it. If it works I should only have to change 4-6 bolts each time to switch up riding styles. Are the internal hubs reliable?...so many conflicting opinions. The 12 gauge spokes are a must for off road, maybe hard to source...especially in Canada.
12 gauge spokes at the local bike shop should be pretty well aligned with prices elsewhere...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back