Brake Poll -- Because sometimes you have to stop the fun!

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by andyinchville1, Jan 16, 2009.

What type (s) of brake(s) do your bike(s) ?

1. Coaster Brake / Hub Brake

2. Side Pull Brake

3. Center Pull Brake

4. Cantilever Brake

5. "V" Brake

6. Disc Brake

7. Other ?

Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Hi All,

With all the cold weather outside, I've been getting restless and trying to think up some possible new new products for our bikes (Motorized or not)....(Yes, I know I should be installing my Shifter Kit ;-))....

I was thinking, with all the emphasis on speed enhancing products, I would take a stab at the other side of the equation....Slow enhancing products....OK, simply know as better braking ;-)

With this in mind, I have an idea for a new product (and I know there are many out there that would love to stop better under both dry AND wet conditions).....So, to see which system I will try to upgrade first, I figured I would see what everybody has out there in terms of brakes....

I figure I will try to upgrade the most popular brakes first....

Thanks for your input!

2. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

"The Iron Dragon" has vee brakes with premium pads to bring the bike to a halt.

"The Dragon Lady" has front vee brakes on suspension fork and coaster brake rear. I'm about to hang side-pull brakes on the rear.

Both bikes have extreme power and I ride with traffic in the middle of the road.

Both bikes also have foot brakes.:devilish:
  3. Here's a brainstorm. How good would a universal disc brake be if the disc was installed on the spokes like the common sprocket is installed on a wheel?
    This would really make it a universal fit and would be perfect for my buggy bike up front.
    But it would also have to be perfectly straight and wobble free.
  4. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

:idea:Here's another brainstorm:

Use the common sprocket as the disc and install the caliper right over it.

That's what the old-style mini bikes have as a brake option.
  5. SirJakesus

SirJakesus Guest

Disc brakes are by far the best in all weather conditions but they would be hard to make universal and they seem to me to be the most difficult to adjust. The adjustment part may just be that I have the least experience with them.
    The next best I've found are the cantilever brakes. My mid 90's raleigh MTB has them and they can stop me fast enough to lock up the wheels with very little throw in the brake levers. They're very touchy and they've sent me and my brother over the handles more than once.
    Side pull or linear pull seem to require lots of lever throw, they seem to have the least stopping power and unfortunately since they're cheap thats what all the dept store bikes have on them. They also seem to need more adjustment than cantilever with one pad always finding a way to drag on the rim. Better than nuttin though I guess, just get good pads if you have this type or find a way to upgrade them to cantilever.
  6. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

I actually prefer side-pulls because of ease of adjustment.

But I also tend to ride on the slow side, so I don't need much.

Improving brakes for these things is a good idea.

Can I suggest another while you're thinking about it? How about "weighting" the wheels a bit? Done right (ie: good balance) it ought to make these bikes safer at high speeds.
  7. BSA

BSA Guest

I would most prefers a cheep pre built drum brake wheel.

8. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

stop you with one finger

not to sure Large Motor Bike Man
    if one could keep it perfectly straight
    as you know they have to be pretty darn straight so as not to rub

I do so enjoy these disc brakes on my motorized mountain bike
    stop you with one finger
    been kind of wondering how long the pads last ?
    still on my first set

must be able to stop as we ride those THINGS
  9. azbill

azbill Active Member

I use cool stop pads on my read v-brakes (all weather premium style pads)
    a sturmey-archer x-fd hub on the front
    from my towing days, I realized it is more important to stop than it is to go
    if you can't go, it is irritating and/or inconvenient
    if you can't's gonna hurt someone/something
  10. spunout

spunout Member

always used coaster brakes.
    dont know why, exactly. just the way it be.
  11. klassard

klassard Member

I'm going to use drum in the front and disk in the back on my current build (if I can get the disk to work). I bought the Grubee HD hub and I'm hoping I can get or machine a 6-hole adapter to mount a rotor then braise on a bracket for the caliper. I saw an adapter for the stanton hub on ebay that has the holes for the rotor on the left-sprocket. Since the sprocket has left-turn threads, I'd think that braking would un-screw the sprocket...
  12. alex

alex Guest

I upgraded from a center pull brake to a cantilever brake on the front wheel, and the difference was amazing! My stopping distance was cut in half! It will brake as much as you want, if you want to do a faceplant, it will more than willingly do that for you. Now all I need is ABS.....
  13. kawasaki999

kawasaki999 Member

Upgraded the brakes from 160 to 203mm rotors and avid BB7 calipers.

Attached Files:

14. JemmaUK

JemmaUK Guest

I used standard v-brakes with kevlar pads on the front and a rear back pedal brake.

The kevlar pads make alot of difference but if you use them be aware they are snappy when damp ... always use the rear in that situation.
  15. Youngbird

Youngbird Member

Front and rear disc/160mm rotors for me. A second choice would be S/A drum front with rear disc.
  16. mabman

mabman Member

Seeing as how 75% of your stopping power is through the front brake that is the most important one. Having a disc brake there or a V brake minimum is key. Going without one at all is :dunce:

The speed, even say 20 mph, and the weight of the bikes overall in conjunction with the rider attainable with MAB's means good brakes are a must. Be careful out there.
  17. RdKryton

RdKryton Active Member

I voted coaster/hub. I actually have front and rear drum brakes. I guess that's a hub brake.

18. sparky

sparky Active Member

Best. Thread Title. EV. AR.

V brakes are all I need. Simple, cheap, easy, & effective. I wish I could get some of those Clarks VRC pads Jemma was talkin' about (kevlar pads that're supposed to work BETTER in the rain, go figure)... but I haven't found a US retailer yet.
  19. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

Of three bikes I've got one dual disc, and two disc/front-V/rear both of which I've retrofitted disc on.

Do Kevlar brake pads stop better or just wear better? Wondering if they wear rims fast? I used to use the long warranty, hard, disc brake pads in cars but found they wear out rotors much faster and replacing pads was cheaper.
  20. sparky

sparky Active Member

You'd have to PM JemmaUK about that, but I'd guess yes to both your first questions... which would mean prolly a yes to your last question, but doubt you'll find anyone who has worn out their rim from kevlar pads. As far as I know, they can only be had in the UK, tho. :icon_cry: