Brake Poll -- Because sometimes you have to stop the fun!

What type (s) of brake(s) do your bike(s) ?

• Total voters
I'm going to use drum in the front and disk in the back on my current build (if I can get the disk to work). I bought the Grubee HD hub and I'm hoping I can get or machine a 6-hole adapter to mount a rotor then braise on a bracket for the caliper. I saw an adapter for the stanton hub on ebay that has the holes for the rotor on the left-sprocket. Since the sprocket has left-turn threads, I'd think that braking would un-screw the sprocket...

I upgraded from a center pull brake to a cantilever brake on the front wheel, and the difference was amazing! My stopping distance was cut in half! It will brake as much as you want, if you want to do a faceplant, it will more than willingly do that for you. Now all I need is ABS.....

Upgraded the brakes from 160 to 203mm rotors and avid BB7 calipers.

Attachments

• 01-03-09_1151.jpg
    01-03-09_1151.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 124
I used standard v-brakes with kevlar pads on the front and a rear back pedal brake.

The kevlar pads make alot of difference but if you use them be aware they are snappy when damp ... always use the rear in that situation.

Seeing as how 75% of your stopping power is through the front brake that is the most important one. Having a disc brake there or a V brake minimum is key. Going without one at all is :rolleyes:

The speed, even say 20 mph, and the weight of the bikes overall in conjunction with the rider attainable with MAB's means good brakes are a must. Be careful out there.

Best. Thread Title. EV. AR.

V brakes are all I need. Simple, cheap, easy, & effective. I wish I could get some of those Clarks VRC pads Jemma was talkin' about (kevlar pads that're supposed to work BETTER in the rain, go figure)... but I haven't found a US retailer yet.

Of three bikes I've got one dual disc, and two disc/front-V/rear both of which I've retrofitted disc on.

Do Kevlar brake pads stop better or just wear better? Wondering if they wear rims fast? I used to use the long warranty, hard, disc brake pads in cars but found they wear out rotors much faster and replacing pads was cheaper.

Do Kevlar brake pads stop better or just wear better? Wondering if they wear rims fast?
You'd have to PM JemmaUK about that, but I'd guess yes to both your first questions... which would mean prolly a yes to your last question, but doubt you'll find anyone who has worn out their rim from kevlar pads. As far as I know, they can only be had in the UK, tho. :cry:

Back