Brakes

RabbitMan1980

Local time
1:40 AM
Hey everybody, I am starting a 4-stroke build and was wondering if you guys had any suggestions of what kind of drum brakes i should use... I'm putting a disc brake on the front and a drum brake on thw rear with a coaster brake a a back up. I I've never used a drum brake before. And i put is greatly appreciated. Thank you and keep on building

coaster brakes are drum brakes. You can't have both on the same wheel because they would occupy the same space. even if you could, the only difference between a coaster and a drum is that a coaster is activated by the pedals while other types of drums are usually cable actuated.

I'm looking into a Strumey Archer X-FD front drum brake. They seem pretty good and not to expensive. The one I'm getting is roughly $70 and I'm going to have a bike shop install it for $20. I gotta get a front brake so that I have better stopping power and so I have a way to hook up a brake light I'm wiring together later.

I don't really trust driving with just a coaster brake on a motorized bike so an extra brake is always a good add on. I think I don't need to worry about brakes much during the brake in period because I'll be keeping it under 25 during that time.

I'm almost done with my 4 stroke build. Good luck with yours.

I have a Sturmey X-FDD and I found it not to have enough stopping power for me on a loaded bike in the summer.
When drums get hot they can lose a lot of stopping power, increasing stopping distance. Tricky braking downhill.

With a long lever, the 70MM front will probably work fine for you under 30MPH. Above the X-FD/FDD is the XL-FD/FDD (90MM).
Perhaps the best bicycle front drum is the Worksman C6.

If you want to use a rear drum, I would suggest nothing less than a Worksman C6R or Sturmey XL series (90MM).
I have 2 Sturmey rear drum hubs, the X-RD3 and X-RD5, both 70MM. Neither have coaster-brake stopping power.

Edit: In my case, on my bike I have 4 brakes. I use cable doublers to actuate a set of V-brakes on the wheels.

I'm looking into a Strumey Archer X-FD front drum brake. They seem pretty good and not to expensive. The one I'm getting is roughly $70 and I'm going to have a bike shop install it for $20. I gotta get a front brake so that I have better stopping power and so I have a way to hook up a brake light I'm wiring together later.

I don't really trust driving with just a coaster brake on a motorized bike so an extra brake is always a good add on. I think I don't need to worry about brakes much during the brake in period because I'll be keeping it under 25 during that time.

I'm almost done with my 4 stroke build. Good luck with yours.

$20, that sure is something, last time I went to a bike shop with work I didn't feel like doing myself (also a hub installation) they wanted to charge $220. I've never walked out a store so fast in my life, and I haven't looked back since.

Back