Break in and idle problems

Taz

Local time
2:52 PM
Hey guys.
So i finally got my 80cc 2 stroke on the bike and running.
My problem is it runs awfully rough, and stalls on idle (which im hoping that adjusting the idle screw will help or even fix)
I hear a lot of popping when running a fairly open throttle.
Ive run it for 2x 3-4min runs up the road once i got it going, and have only opened up the throttle for a second or two once i reached speed, the rest was barely open cruising at 25km roughly, and at this stage it runs smooth.
I guess my question is - is this normal for a break in? Ive never owned a 2 stroke before and have next to no knowledge on these things. Will the high end smooth out and idle come down to normal once i break it in a little more?
My manual said 16:1 for the first 2 tanks, then 20:1 and a good fully synth oil after that. I made sure i mixed the oil precisely.

Hopefully this is just me being too cautious and it will all turn to normal after a few tanks!

Cheers!

EDIT: as soon as i put the clutch in at speed, the engine dies. Not sure if this is meant to happen but i assume its meant to drop down to an idle before i release the clutch again?

Last edited:
Just found a nice little driveline problem as well - the chain does not feed directly into the clutch, but rather on an ever so slight angle - which is the engine not being mounted as flush as it can i guess.
Ready to just give up already -___-

the chain feeding into the motor doesn't need to be all that straight since it is under tension, the important part is to have the tensioner feed the bottom of the chain (where it is slack) very straightly onto the rear sprocket

idle problems during run in period are somewhat common - if you find that you are turning the idle screw in almost as far as it will go, then try dropping the needle down to lean out the mix for a while until the engine works some of the rough edges off (don't forget to set it back later when the engine smooths out)

Back