BREAK-IN PROCEEDURE-fire away!

How do you break in?

• Total voters
This post randomly shows up as a New Post even though nothing has been added. db problem maybe. Perhaps this post will fix it.

It has to do with the poll question. Whenever anyone votes it is considered a post and moves up the queue

Ah, thank you. I keep going there and my old post was the last one.

Which, I guess, will be true again now.

I voted # 3 because I thought it was the compromise between #1 and #2....I ride it moderately hard while breaking in....not too easy....not too crazy.
Andrew

I think your comments are sound.

My .04$ (inflation) is twofold:

1) Break-in does not mean baby it. Of course first warm the engine up to operating temps, but getting on it pretty good, once warm, will harm nothing and indeed will help prevent cylinder glazing.

2) On 2 strokes - I don't understand the 20:1 for break-in and then changing to 50:1 (or whatever) either. There really isn't a need for such an oil rich mix - especially with the good oils. You'll just have oil drool, chances of fouling plugs, gumming the rings, etc. I suppose a little oil rich (30:1) might help with the wear materials in a lower quality engine. I've broken plenty of 2 strokes in at 50:1, 80:1, 100:1.

Last edited:
I wonder about the oil mix as I just won one of the kits from Dax on Ebay.

I question the idea of a thin mix due to the quality of the engines. I have a feeling the metal / tooling isn't up to the level of a Japanese engine... And the only other lower quality engine I've been around was an old British Seagull boat motor that thrived on a 10 (or 15) / 1 mix! (the suggested mix by the manufacturer)

When Calif went to the 50/1 mix requirement for small engines I was working in a local hardware store. There was a bit of confusion so we called a manufacturer about what they were doing different to the CA engines compared to the rest of the States... They responded "nothing"! They just changed the wording in the brochure... They also said that a thin mix in a high quality engine was actually better for it.

So, back to the question... Has anybody had personal experience with one of the Chinese engines either gum-up from too much oil, or burn up from too little???

Thanks for any input... PS, has any one else noticed that Dax is putting together a 50CC 4-stroke kit! I will be interested in seeing how these turn out.

I ran my engine rich at full throttle for 30 minutes straight on my engine's first start. Engine load was varied by going up and down hills at full throttle. It was 40 degrees out when I road the engine so it didn't get too hot but did get to temperature. After a cople of hours of use, I will lean the mixture out by lowering the needle clip once notch.

I figure this method worked well for my 2 stroke golf cart engine and all of my 2 stroke powertools and should work for my Dax engine.

I'm running 5 oz of Bakers AA castor per gallon of gas. Once I get a couple hundred miles on the engine, I will probably blend the fuel with mostly synthetic oil and a whisper of castor. I'm using pure castor because I want the castor to coat the engine bearings with that (in)famous castor varnish coat which is self lubricating, protects against rust, and helps a little with compression by coating the cylinder. Too much castor varnish buildup is not good which is why I'll switch later on down the road.

Break in has always been a mechanic's mystery to me. I had a motor rebuilt once. When I complained about oil consumption I was told it had to break in. It never did.

I got my motor running yesterday for the first time. I rode it after a little warm up (to the point of no choke) and found that I couldn't really run it at low throttle all the time. I ran it mostly at low throttle but had to kick it up to climb a couple of hills. I'm glad to hear some of you say that it won't blow the engines, since it's going to be that way the whole time. About ten percent of my time will be climbing hill with wot. I can keep it down the rest of the time.

Ps.... see i do use search usually I have a specific question so it doesn't always help but this time it did.

Back