Break In Break in Secrets

You change an oil made to run for 15,000 miles every 2500 miles? That's 6 times as often as recommended. I ran Mobil 1 in my taxi's, never had an engine failure tied to oil(dumb****s running them after a water pump gives out another story :p ).

Yep... Sure do. I change it just as it turns black. The way I figure it is this... $20 and a half hour of my time every couple weeks in the garage is a cheap investment in my cars health. I am aware it is excessive.... But they also say it's excessive to change tranny and diff fluid every 12k. Do I care... Nope. I also change it every 6 months if one of my cars doesn't get to 2500. I should say that if I had to pay for labor I would just stick to the recommended service schedule... Since I do the work myself I can afford twice the parts/fluid.... So everything gets to stay fresh.

I enjoy working on my stuff.... And when I do choose to use/abuse my cars... I like to know my oil doesnt have 15000 miles on it.

I would like to add that I always recycle my oil and filters at the local autozone... If you are a home mechanic please recycle your oil, filters, and batteries. We all live here together and one mans waste oil is another mans cancer. Thanks

Last edited:
Nice link... Even had pretty little graphs.

It said you had to change the filter to maintain performance... Who would change a filter and not the oil if they had access to the oil?

Besides all that, at the bottom it reccomended an 8k interval... Which isn't news to me because that's exactly what the service manuals say. The manuals also say to shorten that interval if operating under extreme conditions... Which include dusty conditions and temps over 100. Where I live qualifies for both most of the year.

Still going to Change the oil when it turns black around 3k because I like to. It's a simple fact... The black in the oil is contamination... Contamination that isn't good for the inside of your engine. Im Sure you can go 15k between service... But if you can avoid it, why would you?

Thanks for the info... Have a nice day.

Last edited:
If your oil turns dark in less than 3,000 miles, something aint right. Your rings are leaking.
Did you do soft break in?

I broke my 2008 F150 in HARD starting at 4 miles on the odo. Now have bout 70,000. and my oil just starts to start showing color arounf 7,000 miles use.
Starts look dark if I wait 'till 10,000 miles use.

I use Sinthetic/dino blend

Wayne Z

VTEC, hundreds of used oil analysis on bobistheoilguy.com website show that too frequent oil changes actually increases engine wear as evidenced by engine wear metals in the oil samples sent to analysis.

BLACK OIL doesn't mean it is bad in any way. The only way to know if your oil is shot is to send in a sample to a lab and they can tell you. Pulling oil out too soon, e.g. 3k oil change intervals actually is worse for your engine with an extended oil change interval oil such as Mobil 1.

BTW, my oil in my vehicles (diesels) turns pure black in about 20 miles of use after an oil change. Using Mobil 1 ESP in my wife's car, she gets 12,500 mile oil change intervals and Usinb Mobil 1 TDT in my vehicle, I go 10k on oil change intervals. Both intervals verified using blackstone labs or my oil analysis. Get a UOA (used oil analysis) VTEC and you'll see that your engine is full of silicone because I'd bet anyone you use a cold air intake with a K&N type airfilter....they are known to suck in dirt....the cost of a free flowing intake is reduced filtering.

VTEC, hundreds of used oil analysis on bobistheoilguy.com website show that too frequent oil changes actually increases engine wear as evidenced by engine wear metals in the oil samples sent to analysis.

BLACK OIL doesn't mean it is bad in any way. The only way to know if your oil is shot is to send in a sample to a lab and they can tell you. Pulling oil out too soon, e.g. 3k oil change intervals actually is worse for your engine with an extended oil change interval oil such as Mobil 1.

BTW, my oil in my vehicles (diesels) turns pure black in about 20 miles of use after an oil change. Using Mobil 1 ESP in my wife's car, she gets 12,500 mile oil change intervals and Usinb Mobil 1 TDT in my vehicle, I go 10k on oil change intervals. Both intervals verified using blackstone labs or my oil analysis. Get a UOA (used oil analysis) VTEC and you'll see that your engine is full of silicone because I'd bet anyone you use a cold air intake with a K&N type airfilter....they are known to suck in dirt....the cost of a free flowing intake is reduced filtering.

Negative... Only cars with intakes are the crx and civic, don't drive either of them anymore (non op). Both jeeps and the wagovan run stock intake boxes.

Sheesh... Why are you guys so worried about the maintenance on my cars anyways. As of right now, None of them burn oil.... You guys really should worry about your own stuff.

i do have to admit, this thread turned into another oil thread lol, but just give vtec a break, all of you guys either go by the book or go your own way and both outcomes only matter to the person doing it, just worry about your own stuff, you should only worry about his stuff if you decide to buy his vehicles and dont like the way he maintains it, but any way. just stop bickering LOL( dont start picking on me either)

btw this is kinda late but merry xmas everyone!

like V-tec. change the oil in my 95 Jeep and in wifes 96 Jeep..both 4.0 straight 6 XJs every 3000 miles or 4000 at the most..when oil starts to look dark brown / black...time for fresh oil and filter..95 XJ I just sold last year had 240,000 on it and still puring and it was run hard...Maybe I change my tires out for new ones before necessary also , but I like to keep those Jeeps happy...

like V-tec. change the oil in my 95 Jeep and in wifes 96 Jeep..both 4.0 straight 6 XJs every 3000 miles or 4000 at the most..when oil starts to look dark brown / black...time for fresh oil and filter..95 XJ I just sold last year had 240,000 on it and still puring and it was run hard...Maybe I change my tires out for new ones before necessary also , but I like to keep those Jeeps happy...

Yep, I check my oil every 3-4000 miles too. Say...Turt, what do you do with your old tires????? :giggle:

Back