Breaking Spoke Blues

Sorry Roy, only familiar with the WhMaster 12's, and that one experience with the Worksman 10's, (which lined up seemingly normally, after spinning the ring around and finding the best fit).

If it has 36 spokes, then I'm GUESSING the pattern would fit, there seems to be a standard.

Wait around a bit, and a spoke expert will chime in here for the reality check.

four cross lacing

Yeah..I'm sure the spokes will line up ok, it's just that going by "my luck" in the past, I'm suspicious of everything...lol.:eek:

The wheels that gebe sells state they are a four cross pattern so it sounds like a yes, though I'm not the expert referred to...

Thanks all

Wanted to say thanks to all you fellas for helping me out. I think I'm pointed in the right direction. Thanks Bama, Larymore, and 5-7 for hookin' me up with The Wheelmaster. Now I just gotta save my nickles, and dimes to get that back wheel built...lol. I guess I'll go with 10 guage. I hope that will hold up for awhile. And that is correct....The wheels that GEBE sell also have the "4 cross" lacing. I remember seeing that myself now. I am waiting for return mail from the Wheelmaster though - I'm still a little unclear if he builds the entire back wheel, including 7 spd cassette, or if I send him my hub and/or wheel for him to lace. Once I have that all cleared up, my work is cut out....he he he.

Yep..it's confirmed..$190.00, I send him my back wheel, and he'll drill out my rim holes, and hub holes for larger spokes, and lace it up. I'm sure that includes rounding, truing, and proper tensioning. Looking forward to getting that wheel back, with my ryno lite rim, my hub, and those 10 guage spokes. That outta do it.

Hold on !!!!

Whoooooah,:eek::eek::eek:

I dunno what Wheel Master you are talking about!

I'm talking about the brand, Made in USA, CHEAP!!

Where you get a steel wheel for 30-40 bucks, hang that fancy Rhinothing on the wall in case you change bikes later.

Switching the sprocket cassette can be done at the bikeshop, takes a fancy deep socket, 2 minutes tops.

Any person spending $200 on a rear wheel better NOT thank me !!! I am the king of inexpensive fixes !!

Thank Myron !:confused:

$190, thats a lot of cheeseburgers Roy !!

You are going to never be satisfied if you sink the price of a good used cruiser bike in the back wheel !!

I looked in my J&B Catalog (2005), WheelMaster has a 10 gauge steel wheel, and you put the industrial tube in it, the liners etc. and ride that bike like you stole it !

:cool:
Whoooooah,:eek::eek::eek:

I dunno what Wheel Master you are talking about!

I'm talking about the brand, Made in USA, CHEAP!!

Where you get a steel wheel for 30-40 bucks, hang that fancy Rhinothing on the wall in case you change bikes later.

Switching the sprocket cassette can be done at the bikeshop, takes a fancy deep socket, 2 minutes tops.

Any person spending $200 on a rear wheel better NOT thank me !!! I am the king of inexpensive fixes !!

Thank Myron !:confused:

:cool:Hey guys, don't thank me. i just offer info i find on the 'net. if i research and find WHEELMASTER company instead of WHEELMASTER brand, don't thank me.
i supply information. Brother Roy is a mature person of free will, and has a mind of his own. if he chooses a certain product,agrees to pay their price and do business with whomever he wishes to...

don't thank me...Bama:rolleyes:

Myron

Thanks to the ethanol biz, those Indiana corn folks are rolling in dough, I understand that....just making the point that I just don't think rear wheel performance can be enhanced "that much" by re-stringing a high dollar wheel.

Maybe at 10 miles per hour a person could feel some sort of difference, but at 25 mph road conditions take over, hold on to your hat.

If a person wants to avoid the rust that eventually gets on a steel wheel, there is an aluminum one (ultegra??? xtr?? durn ecclipse is even affecting my rabbit ears this morn)...some aluminum brands that have packed bearings, for around $75-80, with heavy duty spokes.

Sure, Roy can do as he pleases, just want to clear up the confusion of "brand names" in the cycling business, how Wheel Master the wheel maker is not the same as Wheel Master the "modifier", equiv. of a shoe cobbler or tennis racket repairman.

Sometimes searching a name brings up thousands of results, and anytime I'm mentioning Wheel Master, I'm referring to the brand sold to bikeshops by J & B Importers.

This WM guy may do excellent work, but I'll wait till Roy gets it reinstalled, it's his bike and his thread.

You are very correct Myron, & Roy is doing his research based on all of our mutual input, but I'm just thinking the $190 solution will scare others thinking about the exercise/transportation combo.

Casual thread readers should just know there are different priced solutions, and in my humble opinion, a rear wheel/tire/tube upgrade of $50-60 will get you rolling without worries.

:cool:hey, in everyday transactions ya win some and ya lose some. every time i think i might have overspent on an item i bought for my bike, house or daily driver car, i reminisce about $$ i "invested" in Las Vegas over the years. one unlucky day/night in "tinsel town" could have easily financed all my entire bike projects, or my books and tuition at the local community college for 2 years.

"hey Myron, how'd ya do at Vegas this time?"

sheepishly answered "well...i had fun!"

i don't gamble anymore, so i can afford to make overkill decisions, especially in the interest of safety. i might not overspend on spokes, but i might do so for an engine/shipping charges/etc.

right now, i'm involved in a twin-engine bicycle project, so i know i'll be spending $$ in research and development. read that as miscues, parts that won't work for my needs, ridiculous machinist charges,etc.

but hey...i'm having fun, and the $$ is leaving my pockets at a MUCH slower rate!

Back