Bremen Flyer Almost Done!

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by scrollerguy, Jul 8, 2007.

1. scrollerguy

scrollerguy Guest

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    :grin:

Well, here it is, a purely functional, made with what I had, no frills,motorized bike.

The Piaa light got dropped, and I haven't flamed it yet, 700 miles have been put on, just for testing purposes of course.

I actually wore out the kevlar reinforced tires that I originally put on the bike, had to replace them with what was available, 26x2.125, now it is really a smooth ride.

Gas mileage is about 100 mpg. I ride the bike to work every chance i get, but it seems to rain a lot.

Hope you like it.

Scrollerguy

2. azbill

azbill Active Member

very kewl looking home-built !!! :D
    the seat looks comfy 8)

3. Very nice ride.

That looks like the V8 of the motored bikes :grin:

How well does it go? Speed/pull etc.

4. I love how you did the bike chain to make a coaster rear brake with that foot pedal.
    And that belt pulley on your rear wheel...is that...a 26" rim?
    But since it has no crank,it's essentially a motorcycle,no?
    How ya keeping the cops away?

5. scrollerguy

scrollerguy Guest

:grin: First All, Thanks! The speed was radar gunned at 46 downhill by my brother in law, (County Sheriff).

As far as the State goes, it is still a bicycle. They said they don't register bicycles.
    I'll ride until I'm told to do something.

The seat is from a Honda Aero Scooter, along with the throttle and the left assembly.

The only thing I bought was the engine and clutch, belt, and now 2 new tires.

Everbody loves it, that sees it. Even a BMW rider wants to put it in the monthly newsletter.

Thanks again for looking!

Scrollerguy

6. scrollerguy

scrollerguy Guest

:???: UH< I forgot to add that the new seat I bought broke, and due to the fact, along with being the highest taxed state in the USA, we have the worst roads around where I live. That seat is the most comfortable seat you can imagine!

The headlight is a 55 watt KC, the motor has a charger, I won't be driving at night much, way too dangerous.

Feel free to ask any questions, and Pianoman, still waiting for your email.

Scrollerguy

7. SlicerDicer

SlicerDicer Guest

Wow! I am stealing that design of the foot-rests and brake thats AWESOME! Thanks for the ideas :)

8. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

:shock: bee-yoo-tee-fool! 8) 8)

ok, now i'm firmly convinced bike #2 will be built around one of my 4-strokes :)

so, centrifugal clutch straight to back wheel. more detail, please...i'll be watching your back wheel very closely over time, keep us posted also on how things hold up, please? i know the info will be put to good use.

*ditto* on the coaster-brake tweak...pure motoredbiking genious there 8)

9. scrollerguy

scrollerguy Guest

Battery Box

:D Hi Again, by the way the battery box is a cd drive bay from a computer. The belt tensioner is from a roto-tiller. And the floorboard supports are a barn door hinge cut in two. I used anything I could, nothing was safe! There is even a sealed bearing that I used on the belt tensioner to hold the correct tension.

Scrollerguy

10. scrollerguy

scrollerguy Guest

Drive Wheel

:smile: Yes the 26" wheel was used for the belt drive, I cut all the spokes out and welded it to the other one. Then later I cut up a tire and riveted it to the rear drive rim to make it bigger, that made it go faster on top end.

Scrollerguy

11. iRide Customs

iRide Customs Member

I love it!!!

I do have one question. I see you had to offset the engine to be able to drive the rear wheel and I imagine that motor is probably quite heavy. Do you find yourself leaning to compensate for the offset weight?

Dan

12. SlicerDicer

SlicerDicer Guest

closeups of that wheel welding please :)

13. ironwarlock

ironwarlock Guest

nice ride. you must be in the country? over 50cc, no pedals and no tickets :). hell I'm moving in;).

14. SlicerDicer

SlicerDicer Guest

I am going to do it too! New Mexico seems to be pretty nice about this kinda thing too :shock:

I think the main thing is are you ripping down the street at a billion mph... or are you abiding by the law doing 20-30mph that is legal in said state. Are there a ton of other riders being dweebs nearby that would agitate the cops? There is all these variables that lead to harassment or to the letter following the law. However on my current 70cc I ride it on the roads I abide by laws, use hand signals etc. I do not give the cops any reason to bother me so I thin that helps alot.

15. azbill

azbill Active Member

we ARE the motoredbike ambasadors (sp) :D
    it is up to us to show the way !!! 8)

16. Scrollerguy, would you like to adopt me?? :grin:

17. scrollerguy

scrollerguy Guest

The Locals

:grin: I want to thank everyone who responded with a kind word, I'm 63, and have had my share of trouble with the law when I was younger. Now I try very hard to make life as easy as possible, yes I show the bike to the cops, and I ask questions, as well as telling them that I already talked to the town office about registering it, as well as calling the State Licensing Division to make sure I don't have to register it.

As far as I know NOBODY in this area has anything like this, so being the only one, I do use my hand signals and try to obey the speed limits til I'm out of town.

As fast as this bike will go, my average speed, due to the hills and bad conditions, I only average 34 mph.

Sorry this is so long, but, yes I try to maintain a good relationship with the cops, I've made it very plain to them I don't want to break the law.

Scrollerguy

18. scrollerguy

scrollerguy Guest

do you good thing chinese

How about a town so small, it has about 600 people.
    We live in a suberb of that town called Medomak.

We have no store, no gas, no beer, no schools, no nuthin!

If I go right at the end of the road, it's about 12 miles to town, if I go left and then right it's about 12 miles to town. If I go left and stay on that road it's about 15 miles to the nearest town with a store.

You probably don't want to hear how much my taxes aren't.

You sure can come visit anytime. There are some perks in living in the sticks!

Scrollerguy

19. noah

noah Guest

Sup?

Hey Scrollerguy,

Nice bike! Hopefully breakdowns are few and far between with no way to pedal home! How's that belt tensioner doing on the tension side? Stay cool,
    bro!:cool:

20. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest