Brent Merkley's Whizzer

Discussion in 'Whizzer Motorized Bicycles' started by Brent Merkley, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Here are pictures of the whizzer I built I have made changes to the motor since these shots were made. It rides very smooth and stops on a dime, I think the old 5 inch whizzer brakes are the best, not cheap but if used on the fron and back they are very effective.

Attached Files:

2. bill green

bill green Member

Hi Brent Very Very well done .Thats what I would call A 100% .I like the way your warped mind works..Bill Green
  3. Thanks Bill

Thanks for the kind words, this is a great hobby isn't it! It can be frustrating once and a while but when these things are running well I cant get enough riding time in.
  4. stude13

stude13 Active Member

terrific pics and a wonderful build. mitch
  5. RdKryton

RdKryton Active Member

Well done! Very nice job. I wish it was mine.

6. Quenton Guenther

Quenton Guenther Motored Bikes Sponsor

Hi Brent,
    Lookin' good!
    Is that a vintage Pacemaker 5" rear brake assembly? Looks like the one on my 1950 Pacemaker.

Have fun,
  7. ren

ren Guest

Those forks look like expensive art work!! They are amazing, did you make them?
  8. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

I have only two words to say..."WOW" and "WOW"!
    Seriously, that is beautiful. Great job!
  9. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

:cool:Whoa; That is one gone girl...! Please, give the details of that girder fork?!?:cool:
  10. Hi All

Hi Thanks for the feed back!
    The rear brake is an original Whizzer 5 inch coaster drum brake.The front brake is also a 5 inch Whizzer brake. As I understand it the kick-back brakes were used on the pace maker and the brake I used on the front was standard on the rear of the sportsman and Ambasator.
    As for the fork I always loved the look of the girder forks used on many of the old bikes. I designed this one based on one I saw on a pre 20's BSA. I started out looking by for a doubble tapered tube to use as the trailing tube on my fork. I looked at the tubing Shwinn made up for the Knee springer and thought that I might be able to remove the band and mounting boss that they welded to the tube and sure enough I was able to get rid of them by grinding them off. I then had to extend the bottom and rebend the top. All that just for the trailing tube. The rest was just fabricating parts from standard tubeing, that is after figuring out the rake and trail geometry and a design for the damper. I have to say it was a challange but it was rewarding as the bike has no sign of wooble at 55 mph and rides sooo... smooth over the bumps.
    Quenton, I remember you mentioning that you had a whizzer with a 5 inch rear brake that was only so so , I can say for sure that the front brake I have is the primary stoping force and the rear is a great help. I had an 8 inch HAZE mechanical disk brake on the front of my Whizzer for a long time , it was basicly my only brake the rear coster brake was worthless to say the least. Although the disk brake I had worked fairly well It was less then perfect. The brake pads were about 1 inch square each , that's two square inches of frictional material. I was always having to make adjustments to keep them in proper adjustment. The 5 inch whizzer brakes have two shoes ea. that are about 1 inch wide by aproximatly 4-5 inches long each thats lots of frictional material so they dont need to be adjusted every other day and there is lots of stoping power in that much surface area. I feel that the best brakes for a whizzer are the 5 inch Whizzer drum brakes or if someone were able to set up hydraulic disk brakes with resonably large brake pads they would be very good but as you might see that is hard to do if you want to use the controll grips that are available from Whizzer.
    Enjoy Brent
  11. lobsterboyx

lobsterboyx Guest

if you ever decide to market those forks, id like to be in line to get one. its just a beautiful piece
  12. ren

ren Guest

Brent, I would also love to have you make me a set of forks like those for my Whizzer, feel free to pm me if interested. I can't stop looking at them!!!
  13. terrence

terrence Member

OMG what a sight to see. Wow, Wow!
    All I have to say is if I run across a good Whizzer I might have to purchase one.
    But then again I want all eye candy I see.
  14. An invite

Hi Brent, Verrry Nice! great attention to detail. Are you coming down to ride with us at the Whiz-In?

Lasy few years we had about 75 bikes on the ride.

15. Hi Mike

I will be setting up my tent on friday at the Whizz-In , ive been to the Whizz-In in Fresno once a few years ago GREAT FUN I must say. Look forward to meeting as many members of this great site as I can.
    See You There.
  16. frenchlayer

frenchlayer Member

beautiful build
  17. sk8erpunk

sk8erpunk Member

Brent, I am just freakin' AWESTRUCK at what you have created. Brother that is a thing of beauty. And I see you are in my hood. You better look me up for a ride sometime!! not sure I am gonna make it to the Whiz-In. Wanna try, but Hardly Strictly Bluegrass is happening the same weekend out here in the park ... plus, I spent all my money on my Whizzer ... lol ... seriously. I am broke!!
  18. shawnshank

shawnshank Member

I love the way you did the tank and the forks look perfect as well. Definately one of the nicest rides on here.
  19. Egor

Egor Guest

Brent - Over the top. I love everything. The forks are the cats meow. Is that a glass tank? And the tail light, now that's a good looking tail light. I have to make one of the get together's. Have fun, Dave
  20. Hi Egor
    The tank is fiber glass bonded with epoxy. But it seems that the additives in the new formulations of gas are having an effect on the epoxy and the tank is starting to get a little wavy, not soft but it dosent look as good as when I first sprayed it. This winter I am going to try my hand at making an aluminum tank to replace it. Many of the pre 20s motorcycles had tanks within the frame I was trying to get that look, a DX frame might have been a good choice also. But the B-6 frame has a swift sort of feel to it. Any way it a fun hobby.

Take it easy Brent