Briggs powered Panther

Discussion in 'Whizzer Motorized Bicycles' started by chainmaker, Feb 19, 2013.

1. chainmaker

chainmaker Member

Here is the bike I've been slowly tinkering on. it is still a work in progress hopefully will be done for riding season.

1950 Schwinn Panther - Felt Abraham linkage forks - 19 inch moped rims - Motobecane AV88 rear hub- Sturmey 90 mm Dymo hub - Spokes tires and tubes should be here this week. Wheels may seem overkill to some but my favorite riding roads were originally laid out in the 1700s and 4 inch potholes aren't uncommon and I will feel a bit more comfortable with moped/ light motorcycle wheels. Ordered 19 x 2.25 for the front and 19x2.5 for the rear which is going final belt drive. Whizzer sheave is sitting here waiting.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm using a 3 hp Briggs I/C -build in progress/ cam is at Dymocams for a special grind, exhaust springs in and out, billet flywheel, 5 hp flo-jet Briggs carb,

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013

2. chainmaker

chainmaker Member

[​IMG]

The motor as I received it
    [​IMG]

Motor is taken apart, did a port on intake, got rid of the threads for exhaust and did a nice polish... am going with a header here. This is about all I can do with this motor as there aren't any billet rods or dippers available. Stock failure at about 6500 rpm. I will enlarge the oil hole, smooth the casting seam and that's about it. That's why the 5 hp carb..don't want to tempt myself. The motor is in the basement will take some pics tomorrow.

3. chainmaker

chainmaker Member

Trimmed up the fins for better look than the blocky stock head. Jackshaft mount plate just about done. Scrap will be used for motor mount.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. chainmaker

chainmaker Member

And the insides, the block is going out to have some valve spring pockets put in. Using exhaust springs on intake and exhaust, 5 hp lifters, 94 ss cam, billet flywheel, and some nos Briggs parts.
    [​IMG]

5. james65

james65 Member

That's one keck of a project you have going there! Did you do the machining yourself?

6. jbcruisin

jbcruisin Member

Looks good! Can't wait to see it.
    Jay

7. chainmaker

chainmaker Member

Thanks guys, the clamps are off the shelf dune buggy bar clamps. Still have a ways to go.

8. chainmaker

chainmaker Member

Moderator... Don't know why I started the thread in this forum, could you relocate it to the proper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. jbcruisin

jbcruisin Member

Since it's in the Whizzer forum that means now you have to put a Whizzer engine in it. :)

10. chainmaker

chainmaker Member

Been busY with some other stuff lately. New seat came ( black one on right). Block work...pockets for oversized springs and 5 hp lifters, valve grind, and head cut. Changing jackshaft mount still need to shape mounting plate. Scored a rear fender with drop stand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. chainmaker

chainmaker Member

12. chainmaker

chainmaker Member

Dymo powered headlight and donor housing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JR Dragster tach for Briggs

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. chainmaker

chainmaker Member

Drop stand and fender fitted
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. mason_man

mason_man Active Member

I really like how that headlight came out chain. Bike is looking good!

Ray

15. james65

james65 Member

Panther

Chain,
    Great looking project. Keep up the great work!

Jim E

16. chainmaker

chainmaker Member

Bike is slowly coming along got the rear Dymo powered light into the donor housing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. chainmaker

chainmaker Member

Got the jackshaft, motor mount plate,and one of the rear fender brackets welded, and idler tacked.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. chainmaker

chainmaker Member

Worked a little bit today on the bike, looks like primer will be the cruising colors this season. Still need to get the big ticket items, the tank and clutch. Another view.

[​IMG]

19. chainmaker

chainmaker Member

Worked a bit on it today, intake and exhaust manifolds and port match. Breather plate for oil overflow can.

[​IMG]

20. mason_man

mason_man Active Member

Motor work looks like lots of detail is being poured in......nice.

Ray