brighter lights help

oldpot

Local time
7:53 PM
OK i am experimenting with a set of them cheap china 7 led horn/lights etc i took the thing apart as you can see

IMG_20130305_135116_zpsef2ef494.jpg

OK the brake (3 lights)and taillight (1 light)as shown the brake lights work ok but not that bright cannot see them from a big distance ,

IMG_20130305_133428_zpsf5064dab.jpg

the turn lights are rubbish i cannot see them in day and not bright at night at all they run on 2 AA battery's (3 volts)

OK
1/can i add 2 more battery's to make a 4 battery holder to make 6 volts if so ,will i get bright leds??? (i am a noob with electrics so bare with me)

or
2/ can i some how get brighter leds for at least the turn lights so i can see them
i don't know what sort of leds these are but there not that great .

like i said i a noob with electrics i am just messing about trying to get better brighter lights , mainly for the brake and taillights

also i made a brake lever brake light with wires coming out of it that i using for the 7 led lights at the moment now could i use them wires to make something better and if so how would i wire them up .
ty

Sure you can make that Chinese trash brighter and last a lot longer too.
Just use a BRC 18650 3A Li-Ion battery, or even 2 in parallel.

You can find a bunch here http://www.tmart.com/search.html?q=BRC+18650

They are a little bigger than a AA.

Then again if you had an electric trike you could put an intense LED in the front and 3 12V incandescent running lights in series for a Christmas Tree rear light effect like this.

KCtrikeFrontBack700.jpg

Anyway, those 18650's are amazing little batteries for the price, you can get a pair with a charger delivered for under $10.

KC, hey there........... So, are you saying with using the cheap china AA powered lights, I can get 2- AA rechargeable, but in higher 3.7+ volt? Will that help making brighter??

TY....................Glen

Guess they obviously want last as long??????????

An 18650 Lithium Ion battery is not a AA NiCad, they are bigger and a completely different battery technology. A AA NiCad cell is 1.5V and rated up to ~1.5A current.
Your lights use 2 AA in series to provide 3V and with the best NiCd still a little over 1Ah current.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AA_battery

A rechargeable 18650 cell is bigger than a AA and 3.7V with Amp Hours from 2.3A to near 4A!
I don't what LEDs you have or the control circuitry is and really don't want to, all I am saying if you want to try something different to make them brighter that is a cheap way to do it.

KC, I don't know that much about it either. I just wondered if there would be a way to still use the same set up and size of the two AA batteries, but be able to increase the brightness by stronger battery?

All is good................Just sorry about my Duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh?

Voltage makes things brighter, current determines how long it can run. There may be AA size lithium cells but I just don't know.

i am same with you geebt48 i know nothing about electrics etc and i see all these bikes with great setup and i wish i could do that (or get someone to make me one ) but because i know jack about it i got to work with cheap Chinese stuff heheh but ty kc i might try that for a few bucks see if it works .

For a front light hands down this is the best I have ever seen under $100 and all I buy, run and recommend now.

CREE1200kit2.jpg

1200 Lumen 8.7V Lithium Ion Battery powered CREE XM-L T6 LED Light.
Package includes front and rear lights, battery pack with velcro mount case, charger, handlebar mount and some cheesy headband mount thing I laughed at ;-}

It has High, Low, and Strobe modes, it is removable, rugged and does an outstanding job day or night for less than half what bike shops charge.

It has it's flaws, the rubber band that holds it to the handle bars is not strong enough to keep it place when you push the button on the back so you have to use another finder to hold it, and the button has an annoying blue light on it when off if you don't disconnect the power but the sheer quality and intensity of the CREE LED hooked to the 7.2V Lithium ion pack (2 pair of 16580 LI series wired batteries in parallel) and a charger for them simply rocks.

~$45 delivered from Tmart.com

Your question is rear lights, that kit has one and I put it on but not what you are looking for.
Maybe check that sight for what they have in rears but figure at least $30 for something decent and than means it won't be running on AA batteries.

There is a chance higher voltage just might fry the led lights.

A quick and easy way to find out is get a little 9v battery and a snap conector to hook up wires to your light and see what effect it has. If A-OK to your satisfatiion, get a few rechargeable 9v batteries and you are good to go.

41H8IPcteKL._AA160_.jpg

a-656.jpg

One of the 9v batteries powered this 12v 300 lumen led light on bright for four hours.

P1010508_zps028b34de.jpg

Last edited:
ty kc vale and tanstaafl for the info and pics , looks a nice set up there kc if the lights i got at front or not bright enough i look into that set up ty, i had a 9v battery handy and tested it on the lights from the cheap light set and wow they was a lot brighter and the signal lights i could see them very clear (might try them tonight outside when its dark if they ok)i tried them in daytime was ok and bright , i try and rig something up to use the 9v battery instead of 2 aa ones (nothing blew so i assume the 9v will work ???)or get a few of the BRC 18650 3A Li-Ion battery's kc was on about (about 8v) and see if that will work as well

now to find the wire that makes the beeping noise when the signal lights come on very loud and annoying lol.

Back